Chicken (Poultry) Addiction Anonymous *Chat Thread*

Hello my name is Mother_Hen and IM a chickenholic. I use to be deathly afraid of chickens. My ex's grandpa use to make me hold his fighting roosters and from there the fear sparked. MY ex's best friend had some hens and they would chase me to the car and try an attack me through the car window so my fear grew even more. So when I met my now new husband and we moved in with his parents to help them with a few things my father in law told me he was going to get me a suprise for easter. Oh boy was I in for a shocker. He bought me 6 baby chicks and 2 ducklings. 3 Easter Egg hens and 3 Blue Andalusian Roosters )whom I didnt know were roosters. ) That is where this madness started. Oh boy the chicken math going through my head right now! rofl So the three roosters died and now I need to make up for them. So in the Spring I am getting 6 Golden laced Cochin Bantams to make up for the 3 roos I lost. In January I am buying an incubator to hatch some duck eggs and chicken eggs in the spring. (When my hen duck starts laying that is and if she doesnt go broody.) I am hopefully getting a RIR rooster from a friend here on BYC. So Im adding a total of 7 more birds to my flock. I only have 3 Easter Egger hens right now all of which are laying.
smile.png
So Im getting the RIR roo to watch over and fertilize some EEger eggs
smile.png
So I can but them in the bator and add them to my flock
smile.png
. So yes Im addicted and no I dont want help rofl. Although my DH and my inlaws make fun of me. Saying my hens are the most spoilt chickens they have ever seen. I dont care. They are mine I feed them and take care of them every day so yes they are spoilt but to be fair I only have 3 hens and 2 ducks
tongue.png
So I need to add more to spoil some more
smile.png

Yes Im addicted and Im loving every minute of it!
gig.gif
gig.gif
gig.gif
gig.gif
gig.gif

lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif

hide.gif
:oops::oops::oops::oops:

I tell my father in law that its his fault!!! rofl

Quote:
Welcome to our group! Congratulations from getting over your fear of chickens!
clap.gif

I am going to give you a little advice on one thing...RIR roosters are notorious for being MEAN! That is the last breed of rooster I would ever recommend for you.
sad.png
I don't mean to sound like a wet blanket...I would strongly suggest a different breed of rooster. Put an ad on craigslist that you are looking. EVERYONE has free roos...they are easy to come by. Jersey Giants, Ameraucanas, Orpingtons, Silkies, Sussex, BCM, Welsummers, Cochins...all have great, calm roosters.

Quote:
clap.gif

I am going to give you a little advice on one thing...RIR roosters are notorious for being MEAN! That is the last breed of rooster I would ever recommend for you.
sad.png
I don't mean to sound like a wet blanket...I would strongly suggest a different breed of rooster. Put an ad on craigslist that you are looking. EVERYONE has free roos...they are easy to come by. Jersey Giants, Ameraucanas, Orpingtons, Silkies, Sussex, BCM, Welsummers, Cochins...all have great, calm roosters.

Thank you for the welcome and the advice
smile.png
I am going to get some Golden Laced Cochin Bantam roosters in the spring. I was going to 6 in all 5 hens and one roo but I might 4 hens and 2 roos instead and let one roos in with my EEgers and see what kinda babies I get
tongue.png
hehe I was told that the RIR rooster has been raised around kids and everything and is a very sweet gentleman and I dont want to sound rude and say no after I already told her yes you know? I mean.. now IM confused on what to do rofl
tongue.png
darn these chickens thats why I had to shoot 2 of my Blue Andalusians because they kept attacking my 3 year old and myself..

Quote:
clap.gif

sad.png

I'll second that. All of that. Esp the part about avoiding the RIR roo. That's probably the breed that scared you when you were younger. I LOVE my Americana roos. But my Marans and Olive Egger roos where wonderful too. Just avoid RIR and Probably Leghorns too. Everyone has a roo or two they will gladly give you. Check Craig's List. If you can get 2 from the same flock that already get along, that is a good idea, since you want them to breed your hens....what invariably happens when you only have one rooster is it DIES ...almost everyone says to always have a back up roo waiting for his chance to become head roo.

Quote:
clap.gif

sad.png

Thank you for the welcome and the advice
smile.png
I am going to get some Golden Laced Cochin Bantam roosters in the spring. I was going to 6 in all 5 hens and one roo but I might 4 hens and 2 roos instead and let one roos in with my EEgers and see what kinda babies I get
tongue.png
hehe I was told that the RIR rooster has been raised around kids and everything and is a very sweet gentleman and I dont want to sound rude and say no after I already told her yes you know? I mean.. now IM confused on what to do rofl
tongue.png
darn these chickens thats why I had to shoot 2 of my Blue Andalusians because they kept attacking my 3 year old and myself..

Can you eat the roo if he doesn't work out? Is he free? If the answer is "yes" to both of those, take her up on it. Mean, nasty ol' roos taste great. Video on U Tube on how to process them. IF he is as wonderful as the current owner claims then you both win--you and the rooster.

Thanks everyone. I think I will just let her know that I can not take him at the moment. Not until I get some more experience and some more coops
smile.png
I want to get me a EE roo more than anything.. Just wish I could find one. My GLCB's will have their own coop just in case they don't integrate well into my flock which I'm sure they will. Or at least I hope. Lol She said she had some others cant remember which others I will have to ask her.
smile.png

Anyways Im glad to have found this website
big_smile.png
and the people in it!

Quote:
I have one of each too...breasts, thighs and drumsticks if they don't start breeding my hens so I can hatch eggs this winter. I thought all roosters knew what to do. These guys are DUMB or totally intimidated by the girls.

Back
Top Bottom