Chicken Questions

Newhampshirefolk

In the Brooder
Mar 3, 2023
Hello! i am quite new here and joined recently because i was looking into getting chickens! I do have a few questions however and was hoping this was the right spot to ask! If not i apologize. I was curious on if anyone knew of any blueprints for chicken housing i was looking at getting 30-40 chickens and i noticed i can't find anything that would fit that many near me so was hoping to build one.

My second question is, i was wondering what food is ideal for chickens i was looking at egg laying chickens [White Leghorn chickens] as i heard they are great egg layers!

My third question is what would you recommend i get for the chickens before i actually get them? outside of the housing? I'd like to give them the best possible life they can have so having everything to do so would be great! i figured i'd ask here as i am sure most people here have had chickens for a while and know more about them than me.

Thanks a lot and again i hope this is the right place to ask these questions, if not were would it be better directed to!

blueprints for chicken housing i was looking at getting 30-40 chickens
For that many birds (shooting for the recommended 4 sq ft per bird) you are going to need a sizeable building, like a 16x10 shed, that you could then convert into a coop. I converted an old shed on my property into a coop and it's the best thing I ever did for them and myself.
what food is ideal for chickens i was looking at egg laying chickens [White Leghorn chickens] as i heard they are great egg layers
Offering a complete feed that provides 18-20% protein and 0.3-0.6% calcium with several containers of oyster shell on the side is the best feeding practice as it is appropriate for birds of all life stages.
WLHs are great layers but that comes at a steep price on their longevity. That high production has a toll on their small bodies and most succumb to early death due to reproductive issues.
what would you recommend i get for the chickens before i actually get them?
Having Corid, poultry vitamin/mineral supplement, Vetericyn or some other antibiotic spray, a bottle of fish antibiotic like amoxicillin and cipro, a bottle of calcium citrate with vit D and a chicken size container for soaking and butt baths would be a good start.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say your from New Hampshire. That said, your going to need a large coop and even larger run. 12x12 coop and 12x30 run will give you a little wiggle room. Coop is going to need lots of ventilation for 30 birds. Roosts space will be tricky in a 12x12, so a 10x16 like DL suggested will probably be easier to add roosts and adequate ventilation.

For that many birds (shooting for the recommended 4 sq ft per bird) you are going to need a sizeable building, like a 16x10 shed, that you could then convert into a coop. I converted an old shed on my property into a coop and it's the best thing I ever did for them and myself.

Offering a complete feed that provides 18-20% protein and 0.3-0.6% calcium with several containers of oyster shell on the side is the best feeding practice as it is appropriate for birds of all life stages.
WLHs are great layers but that comes at a steep price on their longevity. That high production has a toll on their small bodies and most succumb to early death due to reproductive issues.

Having Corid, poultry vitamin/mineral supplement, Vetericyn or some other antibiotic spray, a bottle of fish antibiotic like amoxicillin and cipro, a bottle of calcium citrate with vit D and a chicken size container for soaking and butt baths would be a good start.
Thanks a bunch! do you have any recommendations in which i should look at purchasing the nesting boxes etc for the chickens? websites etc. I'll definitely look into the shed idea! either way i'll be building one as looking to do it as a project!

I'm going to go out on a limb and say your from New Hampshire. That said, your going to need a large coop and even larger run. 12x12 coop and 12x30 run will give you a little wiggle room. Coop is going to need lots of ventilation for 30 birds. Roosts space will be tricky in a 12x12, so a 10x16 like DL suggested will probably be easier to add roosts and adequate ventilation.
Thanks a bunch, for the reply! Would you have any recommendations on a run to get for them? I'll probably be building the coop myself been looking to find some blueprints for larger coops etc.

Thanks a bunch! do you have any recommendations in which i should look at purchasing the nesting boxes etc for the chickens? websites etc. I'll definitely look into the shed idea! either way i'll be building one as looking to do it as a project!
I built everything. I wrote an article on how I did it. You can take a look there for how I laid things out and how I built things. It's a lot easier than trying to explain everything here.

i was looking at getting 30-40 chickens

:caf Just for your info, the rule-of-thumb for having a backyard flock is about 4-6 birds for a typical family of 4. That will keep you in fresh eggs. If you are talking about getting 30-40 egg laying chickens, then you are looking at a small business.
What is your goal with your chickens? :idunno

The BYC forum is exactly the best place to ask questions and members here are more than willing to help. But it would help others if you could tell us what your goal is in having chickens. 30-40 egg laying hens is a lot more than the typical backyard flock. Once we understand where you want to go, you will receive better answers. Flock size matters in many ways.

Back
Top Bottom