Chicken Questions

Were you planning to have chickens as a source of meat too? If so, you might want to look at other breeds than Leghorns. Yes, they lay a lot of eggs, but they're not a meaty bird. You might want to consider some dual purpose (DP) breeds as well.

Good for you, for asking a bunch of questions BEFORE you get chickens. 30-40 birds is a big commitment, so take some time, read up on various chicken topics, and yes, ask questions here on BYC. The pool of knowledge here is wide and deep.

And, :welcome
Oh that's a great idea! maybe i should do dual purpose chickens aswell for meat and eggs! Do you have any recommendations? glad i found this forum! lots of knowledgeable folks here!
Thanks for the reply! i appreciate it!

Oh that's a great idea! maybe i should do dual purpose chickens aswell for meat and eggs! Do you have any recommendations? glad i found this forum! lots of knowledgeable folks here!
Thanks for the reply! i appreciate it!
There are a LOT of dual purpose breeds. Some common ones are Orpingtons and Australorps. Both come in various colors, but you'll hear people say, "Buff Orpington" as if that is a the breed. (Buff is the color.)

I've had both, and really like them.

Some chickens have feathered legs. I think it looks pretty, but would totally impractical for me. Some chickens are known for going broody (wanting to hatch eggs). Some are better for free ranging, some are more amenable to staying in a run. (A large enough run...)

Look at lots of breeds, read as much as you can.

I would also consider the amount of feed you will be going through monthly. If 7 chickens go through about 50 lb of feed per month, then with 50 chickens you're looking at hauling around 350 lb of feed per month, so be sure you have checked out all your local feed options-feed stores and local mills-for the best product at the best price.

I was also thinking of using the chicken manure as compost as i hear its actually quite good for plants etc. If you have any recommendations for what to do with the waste i'd love to hear though!
You will have a LOT of waste, but it does make for good compost. If you have friends or family members that also garden, you should have plenty to go around. I used to haul buckets of poop to my mother in law's for her compost pile.

Build your coop and run so the cold wind/snow is blocked from coming in.
How to set up and care for 30+ birds for the first time?
I would start with 15 birds and see if you are into being a chicken farmer. after paying the learning curve you will see things much different on all things and make many adjustments on how you will want things.
Road island reds, buff Orpingtons and barred rocks will be a good start for pets, large eggs or meat.

Hello! i am quite new here and joined recently because i was looking into getting chickens! I do have a few questions however and was hoping this was the right spot to ask! If not i apologize. I was curious on if anyone knew of any blueprints for chicken housing i was looking at getting 30-40 chickens and i noticed i can't find anything that would fit that many near me so was hoping to build one.

My second question is, i was wondering what food is ideal for chickens i was looking at egg laying chickens [White Leghorn chickens] as i heard they are great egg layers!

My third question is what would you recommend i get for the chickens before i actually get them? outside of the housing? I'd like to give them the best possible life they can have so having everything to do so would be great! i figured i'd ask here as i am sure most people here have had chickens for a while and know more about them than me.

Thanks a lot and again i hope this is the right place to ask these questions, if not were would it be better directed to!
Welcome to the best place for honest answers. BYC has been a wonderful resource for me.

For that many birds (shooting for the recommended 4 sq ft per bird) you are going to need a sizeable building, like a 16x10 shed, that you could then convert into a coop. I converted an old shed on my property into a coop and it's the best thing I ever did for them and myself.

Offering a complete feed that provides 18-20% protein and 0.3-0.6% calcium with several containers of oyster shell on the side is the best feeding practice as it is appropriate for birds of all life stages.
WLHs are great layers but that comes at a steep price on their longevity. That high production has a toll on their small bodies and most succumb to early death due to reproductive issues.

Having Corid, poultry vitamin/mineral supplement, Vetericyn or some other antibiotic spray, a bottle of fish antibiotic like amoxicillin and cipro, a bottle of calcium citrate with vit D and a chicken size container for soaking and butt baths would be a good start.
I purchased most of the supplies that were suggested to start out with at MyPetChicken.com. They have a chicken first aid kit.

One thing that I didn’t know about when I got my chickens is how much they poop! I can tell you…it’s a LOT! So, have a plan for what you are going to do with all that poop. I can’t even begin to imagine the tons of poop from 30 birds!! I get a wash tub full of poop weekly from 3! You may also want to look into is what you are going to use for litter in your coop and run. I suggest that you look into using sand, as it is so easy to keep clean. Look up The Chicken Chick. She is, in my opinion, a great resource In all things chicken.

Back
Top Bottom