Chicken Runs Made with Bull Panels, Hardware Cloth, T-Posts, and Chicken wire

BecksNesting

Chirping
Dec 28, 2022
Hey everyone,

What a great combination, using bull panels, hardware cloth, chicken wire, and T- Posts. Now to top this predator proof combination, we have tarps (eventually UV Plastic) and now have the crank system and poles used for Greenhouses! What a easy way to ventilate, and provide sunshine, and also protection against rain etc!

Not sure tarps are predator proof.
What exactly are "bull panels"(wire gauge, hole size)?

Got pics of this awesome set up?

Would also be good to know:
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1696629935244.png

Screenshot_20230509_205556_Arlo Secure.jpg
This is what I did with cow panels. Top is billboard vinyl. You can get that pretty cheap. Way thicker than tarps. Added another post stretched wire completely around and over top.Have about $250 in coop.

Sorry, I just now read your post. Bull panels can be bought at feed/farm stores. We made hoop runs with them.

First thing first, we laid 1/2' hardware cloth on the ground, then drove T-posts through them, then started arching to bull panels together so we could walk upright through the runs. Then we wrapped more 1/2' hardware cloth down the side and back of the runs. Next, we covered the entire run with chicken wire. These were all together with "wire ties" you can also buy at a feed or farm store. We made a gate at the front side of the run.

Now we covered this whole run with tarps, and will eventually change them out with reinforced 10 ml plastic that is sold by greenhouse websites. We have also begun adding ribbed tin in three sections all the way down the runs and secured them by drilling holes and wiring them to runs. The fun part is we also have installed wire pipes and are using ventilation sidewall cranks so we can provide great air flow, or restrict depending on weather conditions. The bottom rows of the sidewalls sit down into gutters too.

It has been a lot of work, but it is completely weather/predator proof! We have every predator except for bear, and we live in a very rural wooded area.

So, we have two runs that are 9 feet wide, 32 feet long, and over 6 feet tall. They connect up to our chicken coop with about two feet of space between the runs. We use Run Chicken Run Pop doors for each run so we can easily mix or separate the chickens as needed. Right now we have roosters in one with the pop door remaining closed and the hens in the other set according to sun up and sun down sensors. Those pop doors are expensive, but AWESOME!

Not sure tarps are predator proof.
What exactly are "bull panels"(wire gauge, hole size)?

Got pics of this awesome set up?

Would also be good to know:
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 3653568
I don't select where I live because we live in a very rural and private area. I will just say, we have all kinds of weather elements, high winds, sometimes tornadoes, very hot temperatures and humidity, extremely wet weather, plus extremely cold weather. Just plain ole' seasonal changes weather changes.

I don't select where I live because we live in a very rural and private area. I will just say, we have all kinds of weather elements, high winds, sometimes tornadoes, very hot temperatures and humidity, extremely wet weather, plus extremely cold weather. Just plain ole' seasonal changes weather changes.
I'm very rural also. NE,Ar we get plenty hot,high winds not try on snow yet but made it through some pretty high winds so far.

Back
Top Bottom