Chicken Slaughter

how did your experience go? i will be doing this within the next year and if you found anything usefull please share ;]

Unless you like the skin, it is easier to skin it rather than to pluck the feathers off, mainly because you dont have to boil any water.

We use a turkey fryer to heat the water, about 3/4 full of water it works very well. We don't currently use kill cones(will in the future), we hang them upside down and I cut the carotid artery, letting them bleed out into a bucket, then removing the head. We processed 7, we were intending to do 12 but we run out of day light.

We use a turkey fryer to heat the water, about 3/4 full of water it works very well. We don't currently use kill cones(will in the future), we hang them upside down and I cut the carotid artery, letting them bleed out into a bucket, then removing the head. We processed 7, we were intending to do 12 but we run out of day light.

what exactly do you do with the water boiling?

We stay under 145 degrees, next time I am going for 130 with the younger birds that seem to pluck easier. An old rooster can be a little tougher and seem to need about 145 sometimes. We dunk them around 3-4 times.or until the large wing feathers come out smoothly.

So what's the secret to getting the family on board with soup birds? We just got started and my wife is dead set on keeping them only as pets... suggestions??

Back
Top Bottom