Chicken that is limping?

BrokenBaylee

Chirping
9 Years
Nov 29, 2014
Anson, Texas
Hi you guys, yesterday I was sitting in my chicken coop and noticed one of my chickens is limping.

He is about a month old.

His right leg is completely fine but his left, he puts a little weight on it and its not exactly upwards it's a little bent, kind of like how a cow's leg bends at the hocks.

He's eating a drinking fine, and I don't think it's a vitamin deficiency because we put rooster booster in their water.

Their main spot that they inhabit is up on some pallets, and although we have a ramp made out of an old shutter for them sometimes they don't use it.

So I was thinking maybe he sprained his thigh jumping down from it?

Anywho does anyone have any suggestions, I'm at a loss being new to this and raising chickens for FFA.

Last edited:
Had a chicken a few years ago started limping. She limped for about a week then she got better. We think she flew up on something and either jumped down wrong or one of the others started pecking her and knocked her off. Give her a little time and see if she gets better on her own.

Last edited:
It could be bumblefoot. We have a young ee roo right now that has a swollen pad on the bottom of his one foot (bumblefoot). We are treating him with antobiotics and soaking in epsom salts.

Ha its funny one of mine started limping yesterday I cant see any damage ie cuts or anything stuck in it, one of her front toes looks bent tHough when I touched and moved it she showed no signs of discomfort.
Any ideas what is this bumblefoot? You mention is there any pictures

Bumblefoot is an infection on a chickens foot, refered as plantar pododermatitis. Swelling, sometimes redness and often a black or brown scab on the foot. My roo did not have swelling,redness or a scab when I first noticed him limping. Now he has some swelling and does not like me touching his foot. The skin of the foot has been compromised and bacteria has gotten inside. The deep litter in my coop has been very wet this winter. Mild temperatures and high humitity so far. Treating with neo chlor and soaking with epsom salts and kept in a smaller pen with dry straw. Hopefully he will recover. There is a really good article in the Dec/Jan issue of Backyard Poultry.

Thanks I'm out to inspect now ill update afterwards perhaps some pictures if I'm still not sure as I'm still new to this :)

I can not see nothing she does not seem to be limping as much today but if any of you can see something I would be very grateful

Back
Top Bottom