Chicken to human disease

onieline

Hatching
Apr 17, 2016
My 4 1/2 yr old hen has water belly I was using a syringe to drain her a pricked myself a little . I broke the skin but only bled when the squeezed it I wiped it with alcohol but am freaking if I'm going to catch some chicken disease

My 4 1/2 yr old hen has water belly I was using a syringe to drain her a pricked myself a little . I broke the skin but only bled when the squeezed it I wiped it with alcohol but am freaking if I'm going to catch some chicken disease

Hello and welcome to BYC!!

I did that 2 times to myself while draining a hen a few months ago. The one time I stuck myself really badly with the needle that had not only bodily fluids but blood. I was FREAKED out! LOL BUT....absolutely nothing happened to me.

Most viruses and bacterias (not all) are host specific....in other words, you cant contract what they have and visa versa. You should be fine. You might clean the area well and use alcohol or peroxide on the poke just in case.

Oh and I hope your hen is ok. Draining is not fun, but it can give them some relief for a while.

Hello and welcome to BYC!!

I did that 2 times to myself while draining a hen a few months ago. The one time I stuck myself really badly with the needle that had not only bodily fluids but blood. I was FREAKED out! LOL BUT....absolutely nothing happened to me.

Most viruses and bacterias (not all) are host specific....in other words, you cant contract what they have and visa versa. You should be fine. You might clean the area well and use alcohol or peroxide on the poke just in case.

Oh and I hope your hen is ok. Draining is not fun, but it can give them some relief for a while.

Thank you so much for replying. I feel so much better now. Pete (hen) is feeling better too. It was a Trumatic experience for the both of us but turned out well.

I had a hen with heart failure and needed to be drained every 5 days. I drained her about 12 times before her heart gave out. But yes, the first time I did this, I nearly had the heart attack. LOL. It ges easier on you and the hen after a few drainings.

I hope you hen is ok. :)

Back
Top Bottom