Chicken Treats :: Pinto Beans?

whitutis

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 30, 2009
Just wondering if anyone has ever fed their chickens beans? We have a math project that we are working on, where we've had to count these dry beans all different ways. And now that they've been completely man-handled by my and my kid, sitting on the table in an open bowl for a week, not to mention a few have tried to make their escape fallling to the floor yet thwarted by my young lass and added back to the bowl. Ick!

Wondering if i gave them a quick rinse then a soak and boil, would it be okay to feed it to my chickens? I guess i ask because i know what a whole pot full of beans would do to a human, and on the scale of a chicken....i wouldn't want to cause any fowl fireworks, if you know what i mean.
lol.png

Thanks so much!
Whit

I don't know about a whole bowl of them but I fed mine black eyed peas out of the can to them and they loved it. I wouldn't see anything wrong with it as long as they are cooked and if you didn't give them a whole bunch.

You should do a search on that. I can't remember the reasons but I read that you should never give your chickens dry beans and for them to be safe you have to cook them over a certain temperature . . . it's why they roast the soybeans for the feed. I really can't tell you why, but I would check it out first.

As long as they're cooked until they're soft, beans are fine. Raw or undercooked beans are harmful to chickens. I think it's the hemaglobnin (sp?) that coats the beans. It's a protective coating that helps the bean (which is a seed) stay fertile until it can sprout. Anyway, soaking and cooking them eliminates it.

My chickens double as garbage disposals. They have eaten lots of beans over the years from the leftover bucket. Won't hurt them a bit. Cook and Serve.
Added note: lots of folks would not approve of some of the things I feed my chickens but I have been around chickens all of my 42 yrs and my grandparents and parents had chickens and thats how I learned to do things.

The link took me to a confusing post. It looked like you shouldn't feed any kind of green bean or anything like tomatoes to birds, but I have done both, and the birds were fine. Maybe I'm misunderstanding.

Back
Top Bottom