Chicken With Bumblefoot... Any Tips?

Obi-wan Henobi

In the Brooder
Feb 11, 2021
Hi, I'm pretty new here, and I'd like some tips on treating bumblefoot. Yesterday I noticed my White Leghorn hen had something going on with her feet, and after a bit of research I discovered it was bumblefoot. She has it pretty badly on one foot and possibly on the other as well. I currently have her separated from the rest of the flock for easier access. Its pretty well developed on the one foot, with a large, obvious "plug" and a lot of swelling of the pad and between two of her toes. I've already soaked her bad foot in Epson salt for about ten minutes, and she did not like it! I'm thinking I'll have to try and remove the infection surgically. I'm pretty nervous about it. I've never treated bumblefoot before. Anything I should know before I go try and get the infection out?

Also, does anyone know how to sterilize a knife without alcohol? I don't want to make the infection worse with a dirty knife, but I can't find any alcohol to clean it with. Would disinfectant wipes (like Clorox or something) be safe to use if I rinsed it off afterwards?
Thanks!

Sometimes surgery is necessary but I would try other treatments first because once you cut in, you'll be working with it for a long while.
It will wait till you find alcohol or other disinfectant.
I would clean the wound and continue warm Epsom salt soaks for about 20 minutes twice a day. Then wrap the foot to keep it clean.
You can also try some HEC herbal ointment. But if you can't find alcohol, I'm sure you won't find HEC.

Sometimes surgery is necessary but I would try other treatments first because once you cut in, you'll be working with it for a long while.
It will wait till you find alcohol or other disinfectant.
I would clean the wound and continue warm Epsom salt soaks for about 20 minutes twice a day. Then wrap the foot to keep it clean.
You can also try some HEC herbal ointment. But if you can't find alcohol, I'm sure you won't find HEC.
Thank you so much for the thoughts. And no, I don't think I can get HEC where I live. I'll keep looking for alcohol to help sterilize. I'll try putting a bit of triple antibiotic ointment or maybe some chlorhexidine solution next time I do Epson salts and see if that helps at all.

I hope I don't have to do surgery, but it looks really bad on her left foot; lots of swelling in a couple places. She's still eating, drinking, moving around and not even limping much, so I guess that's good.

Back
Top Bottom