Chicken with hurt leg

I have a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte rooster with a hurt leg. some days he will put weight on it others not. my other chickens do not pick on him so i am just letting him see how it goes.
It may heal faster if he is confined to a small area or pen (with food and water.) But roosters can be upset about being confined. I had a hen who took about 4-5 weeks to heal a bad sprain, but she was able to roost, get to food and water, and free range with a limp. Every injury is different, and it also depends on what location the injury is.

Just wanted to say thank you to all who posted on this thread! One of our girls suddenly appeared with a hurt leg, and the aspirin and keeping her somewhat confined seems to have done the trick. She still favors it a bit (it has been 6 days) but she's up and about as usual except she sleeps on the coop floor for now. I really appreciate the good advice!

I have a 8 week old RiR roo who can't put ANY weight on his poor leg. I checked for bumble foot or broken toenails. It's not broken.
The leg is putting off a lot of heat but it's not swollen. I've been keeping him in the house, and running his leg under cold water. Can I wrap it with a damp cloth?
I can wrap horse legs so I am pretty sure I can make the wrap comfortable.
He seems to like it when I cool his leg off.

I know this is super late and probably wont be taken very serious.

But I have a 5 to 6 day old chick may be a day or 2 younger but his leg appears to be hurt. He wont put any weight on it. I want to help him if possible I was reading this thread and made an account to ask if anyone could tell me about using the aspirin and if it would be wise for a little chick. I need help with this... My grandmother comes from an old time that when this happen it has a sad ending at a humans hands. But I wanted to try first.

Ill admit i didnt read all the posts as my batteries low. But dont worry just let the chickens leg heal as is. I caught an injury to one of my chicks a few days after it happend. She wouldnt grasp my finger when i touched her toes. She was draggig the leg but i couldnt feel a break altho the what i would describe as the knee bone seemed swollen. I just let natre take its course. This eas in december. Shes now laying and gets arounf by hoping or using her wings as crutches. She was never in pain. I just keep her out of general population so to speak lol.

Shes the black one. The injured leg is the one showing

I had the same situation. I took your advise and put 5 aspirin in a gallon of water and gave her some vitamin B supplements as well as well as "Vitamins and Electrolytes". We put her in a contained space away from the other chickens and with in a week she was doing well. We took her out of her confined spaced each day and let her walk in the grass for about an hour. This was out of the sight of the other chickens. The first day her limp was significant and each day we could see it get better and better. After a week of this she had no limp at all!!! Last night we decided when we let our other chickens out of the coop to run free for an hour before their bed time, we would put her back with them and see how they excepted her and she them. We put her on the ground out side of the coop and let the other 5 hens and a rooster out of the coop. The rooster and one hen made an aggressive run at her and attacked her!! We picked her up and put the rooster back in the coop to see what would happen with the other hens. When the rooster was in the coop the hens were much more calm. But a couple of the hens in the space of a half hour picked at her and she picked them back and even once she picked at another hen. We ended up putting her back in her space and not let her go in the coop with the rooster and other hens. We don't know what to do right now. We are going to try to put them together tonight again and see what happens. If the rooster tries to attack her again what should we do? Since we don't know how she got her injured leg we are afraid to put her back in the coop especially with the rooster. These chickens are 10 1/2 week Buff-Opingtons. They are supposed to be more mild mannered but this rooster is not!! Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Boerne Bell

Need some advise for my 5 month old white Cochin pullet that we named dog. Most often I can handle any problem I encounter with my chickens but this one is new for me. Dog started just laying around didn't seem to b eating or drinking n couldn't walk. When she got up she couldn't walk just gimping around. favoring her left leg n her right leg is like skin over bone. if shes standing facing u it's her left leg that works well. She also had diarrhea easy to tell by her lil fluffy nasty looking booty. I took her into the house n cleaned her up. I sarted force feeding her only it wasn't really force feeding I put the food or water in her lil beek n she ate it. Done this for 4 days shes now stand-in up gimping around still favoring that same leg. The other leg is like feeling skin over bone. No diarrhea now, eating n drinking now. Thing is that right leg is'nt any better. Anyone ever had this happen to em.

Is her bad leg paralyzed, or can she move her toes if you stroke them? Does she drag the leg or hold it up? Injuries are the most common reason for lameness, but vitamin deficiency or Mareks disease could be a possibility. Was she vaccinated for Mareks? It can be seen at this age, and symptoms may include paralysis of of one or both legs, wings, or the neck. Some chickens may have eye issues, skin lesions, or tumors. Before panicking, though, I would force her to rest the leg, placing her in a crate or cage with food and water within reach near the other chickens for company. Vitamins for poultry in the water would be a good idea. Here is some information about Mareks:
https://extension.unh.edu/resources/files/Resource000791_Rep813.pdf
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

Back
Top Bottom