CHICKEN WITH WORMS.. I did not know chicken got worms!!!

I've done it that way too Mike, but pulling the wattles down is much easier. The wattles are tough as nails, attached skin and wont rip or tear (Unless someone has razorblade fingers lol.) Sometimes the bird will shake their head with their mouth open but they tire once they know you wont let go, that's when I shoot the wormer in the mouth. Most times though, they dont resist.
Gotcha. I just try to be careful. That 4th grade teacher I saw grabbing kids by the ear when I was in school might have something to do with it, lol.

I use the beak method, 'cause not all my birds have wattles (ducks, geese, peafowl) and many of the chickens have very small ones.

-Kathy

wanting to use safeguard paste I understand the pea size amount do I give this for how many days. this is for my 4 year hen white pullet. thank you patsyv

hello Kathy. just wanted to know for sure I plan to use safeguard for my hen. and was wondering how many days to give her pea size amount on bread. it is 25 gram paste 10% thank you so kindly for you time.

Welcome to BYC!

If you want to give an a more accurate dose, use a syringe.

From left to right:
Small = 10mg ( .1cc) = enough for a 200 gram (7 ounce) bird at 50mg/kg
Medium = 25mg (.25cc) = enough for a 500 gram (17 ounce) bird at 50mg/kg
Large = 50mg ( .5cc) = enough for a 1000 gram (35 ounce) bird at 50mg/kg
50 mg/kg is at the high end of the recommended dose for birds, but it is what my vets recommended.

1 kg = 2.2 pounds
1 cc = 1 ml
1000 grams = 1 kg
Safeguard and Panacur are the same, both are 10% fenbendazole

Here are some pictures for you:

-Kathy

Last edited:
It has been ten days I only gave once. and I got a little concerned she has small amount of blood in her stool. I figure from the worms . Thank You for your quick response. Now is there a withdrawal period if I would give to all of my hens. this particular hen doesn't lay so that really is not a concern. I've thought maybe to give it to all six at sometime possibly.

It has been ten days I only gave once. and I got a little concerned she has small amount of blood in her stool. I figure from the worms . Thank You for your quick response. Now is there a withdrawal period if I would give to all of my hens. this particular hen doesn't lay so that really is not a concern. I've thought maybe to give it to all six at sometime possibly.
Giving it to all of them sounds like a good idea... and the one with blood in her stool, I'd probably re-worm her several days in a row to see if that helped. AS for withdrawal, I don't know how long it is, but I think dawg does.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom