Chicken Worming

Ivermectin effectiveness is in part a function of geographic location and history of it's use on the farm.. It still works fine here. That is a good article! FARAD is a very good site. Mary

I use the 1% solution and apply 0.05 ml. to the bantams, and 0.1 to 0.2mls to the standard birds. I just fixed this post because the first amounts posted were WRONG! Sorry, this is what I use. Mary

Last edited:
By the time it slops around, and some gets on the feathers, it's a smaller dose often. Some people use several DROPS per bird, a much higher dose! And then there's the horse wormer paste, 250 lbs. per click! That can't be reduced to any kind of safe dose per bird. Chickens must be pretty tough critters. Mary

By the time it slops around, and some gets on the feathers, it's a smaller dose often. Some people use several DROPS per bird, a much higher dose! And then there's the horse wormer paste, 250 lbs. per click! That can't be reduced to any kind of safe dose per bird. Chickens must be pretty tough critters. Mary
I know many people use much more, but it's pretty safe, so for most birds it will be okay. Did you know that ivermectin can be toxic to some species of birds at twice the recommended dose? I didn't know that until just a few days ago.

As for the paste, the best way to use the paste is to transfer it from the tube to a smaller syringe. Then from the syringe one can give the recommended dose. With the 1.87% tube, the dose is a little less than 0.005ml per pound or about 0.03ml for a six pound bird.

-Kathy

Here is an experiment I did:

The dose for a five pound chicken looks like this:
5 ÷ 2.2 x 0.2 ÷ 18.7 = 0.025ml (0.45 mg)

I weighed the paste and found that 1ml of paste does weigh one gram, so the dose is dead simple to calculate. A medium pea sized amount is about 10x that amount.

Weighed empty 6ml syringe

Filled with Ivermectin 1.87% paste and weighed. Difference is 6 grams, so 6 grams = 6ml

From left to right:
Small = 0.1 ml = 1.87 mg ivermectin
Medium = 0.25 ml = 4.675 mg ivermectin

Large = 0.5 ml = 9.35 mg ivermectin

The blob next to the grain of rice is 0.025ml (.4675 mg ivermectin)

-Kathy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom