Chickens and Homeowners insurance??

Just thought I would share this info that I recieved from a friend of mine.....really gripes my behind

GOT CHICKENS? SAY GOODBYE TO YOUR HOMEOWNERS INSURANCE! Today, Maggie shared her story about how her homeowners insurance was canceled due to her pet chickens. The insurance company was GEICO, and the underwriter that actually canceled the policy was ASI Underwriters. Maggie has had GEICO auto insurance for 26 years! She has had State Farm homeowners insurance for 19 years! She decided to bundle her homeowners policy with her auto policy. BIG MISTAKE! First it was because there was the "potential" of her selling eggs, and that was a risk. Now they tell her that chickens are farm animals and carry diseases. UGH!​

How many chickens were involved? Are we talking about a small backyard setup, or dozens, or hundreds of hens? Was she in compliance of the city's laws?

My Nationwide agent said as long as I didn't have a chicken "business"...ie, selling chickens, eggs, my homeowners would not go up or cancel.

I just got off the phone with Progressive about a new policy for a house we're trying to go to close on. The gal I spoke with said she had to check with her underwriters about my chickens as they don't offer farm policies. Having only 6 and not selling eggs they were approved as "pets" but was warned that if the number increased or I began selling them it would change.

I just got off the phone with Progressive about a new policy for a house we're trying to go to close on. The gal I spoke with said she had to check with her underwriters about my chickens as they don't offer farm policies. Having only 6 and not selling eggs they were approved as "pets" but was warned that if the number increased or I began selling them it would change.
They probably view it that, if you're selling eggs, its a home based business. Any home based business becomes a different issue from standard homeowners insurance. Most likely it would not require any change to the homeowners policy, but rather to have a separate business policy. Of course, if you're only selling a couple dozen eggs a week for cash to people you know, I'd suspect most people would skip all the official declarations of being a business (including business insurance, sales tax collection, declaring deductions, whatever.)

My insurance agent just sent me a letter requesting a statement that I have no intention of using the chickens for commerce. Jeez.

Do any of you have State Farm and what have they said about you having chickens? I only have 6 and never gave a thought to my homeowner's insurance not covering them. I did just hear about someone local whose coverage went up $300 due to the risk of fire from the heat lamp.

My insurance (St. Johns) in Florida dumped me because we have chickens. The only company that will write a policy for me is almost $800.00/year more. I'm fighting it but it doesn't look like I have a leg to stand on.

Back
Top Bottom