Chickens as house pets?

Legally.... if the "law" doesn't come into the house, how would they know what she's keeping in there? I said no way would I ever have a chicken in the house, and a diaper for it? HA! I now have a small frizzled silkie/polish mutt roo living in my living room. He wasn't injured, but the others picked on him so he wasn't eating enough. I found him in the tractor run one morning laying on his side and being stepped on by his flock-mates. I brought him inside to die in peace (he looked THAT bad). Gave him vitamin water by dropper and fed him high protein game bird food. Now over a month later... his flock mates will not accept him back. So...... I have a house chicken, a house rooster even. I've been looking up patterns for chicken diapers. I have to work on his habitat still. I do take him outside everyday to free range with the others and bring him back in nightly.

93695_img_1068.jpg

Chickens make great house pets. I've had them as house pets for over 20 years. Right now I have a Silkie, two Frizzles Cochins and a Sizzle. All bantams, two roos and three hens. They are clean, lively and great company. I love when Muggsy lays an egg on my bed.
smile.png

I couldn't imagine life without chickens as house pets. They make less messes than some cats or dogs.

Its great to hear that many more people than I thought actually have house chickens... its awesome... it seems that everyone involved lets them 'free range' the house, which is cool. I am thrilled to have such a response in favor of keeping them indoors, although I personally would rather they be outside... Just the diapers seem to wrong and cleaning up poop from all over would not be fun...

Quote:
I had a rooster that stayed inside for quarantine for a month. He would lay on my lap and watch tv with me, and then when he had to poop, he would fly over to the computer chair and poop there (I kept newspaper on it). Got him when he was about 14-16 weeks, and he just did it, guess the girl who gave him to me trained him. My Peep on the other hand, had to wear a diaper on her the day she spent inside. She clearly was confused at first and didn't much like it, but she got used to it quickly and was just fine. If made correctly, they're lightweight, and out of the chicken's way. They work very well, too! She spent the day inside because she didn't have any roommates for the day and was dying for attention - we had stuff to do inside, so she came in, got her diaper on and ate some veggies in the kitchen while I cleaned. She loved it!
smile.png
Every once in a while, I still bring her in for a bit as right now she's the only bantam and still wants some mommy tv time.

im not so sure having just 2 chickens would be that big of a deal.....she could have a small out door pen for them to go out when
she is home with them....as long as they dont crow, you might be safe!!!...you can do anything you want till you get caught!...if
you keep track of them and they didnt roam around who would turn you in??....

Last edited:
Quote:
That is my line of thinking but I would tell her no if there was way more no's here, many people seem its fine as long as you don't mind the little extra work... Currently I have some small silkies in my back shed in a small pen, I put them outside everyday in a large dog cage beside my main "coop" so the other chickens can see them and they get used to being outside. I still think they are too small for the big birds( I have ducks, sex-links, and leghorns). Hopefully in another month or so they can go in with the bigger birds. I live in a place that allows me to have 6 chickens, I have 9 (well 7 and 2 ducks) and I don't think any neighbor would turn me in. They never said anything when I had a rooster which I was not allowed...

Last edited:
We have a house chicken in the living room for 18+ months now. She's an 8# Barred Rock beauty! I would not normally advocate having one but to make a long story short she was rescued from our son's girlfriend who won her at a local fair, Since we have large parrots we didn't think she would be to hard to handle and love. Well that's exactly what happened we fell in love with a fluffy ball of down and pin feathers. Zee has been a wonderful addition to our flock, so to speak, She fits right in and is spoiled rotten.

She is housed in a large dog create we got at Walmart. We added the perch and use newspaper for the bottom. Her cage is cleaned out every morning when the parrots cages are changed.
We have a Blue and Gold Macaw and if you know parrots Macaws STINK! I keep handy a spray bottle of white vinegar and water and mist around his cage,never directly on him, it kills his smell and I'll assume it stops any odor from Zee. I have never had any complaints about "Bird" smells from anyone. She is diaper trained, she has available a sand/ashe box for dust baths but refuses to use it,she prefers to scratch out the stuff and bathe on the carpet. We take her outside and she gets to hunt bugs, scratch earth and be a chicken. Now that it has started to get colder, I will start sprouts and grass for her and the other birds to enjoy.

It's a lot of hard work to keep her and I do think its worth it, you have to be diligent in your cleaning, but the rewards are great! She has added a lot of comical relief and snuggling into her soft fluffy feathers is treat in its self.

Awesome! If the chicken itself doesn't seem to mind (getting sick, acting funny) then it should be fine, right?

We kept our Sultans inside last winter, as they don't like cold weather. We made sure they had fresh veggies and exercise, plus lots of attention. When the weather warmed up and we put them back outside... they made every effort to get back in the house. They still come to the door every time they get a chance. So... as long as you make the bird happy and care for it, don't see the problem. They loved it. Your choice if you want to do extra housework to clean up chicken dander. I don't see chickens as being any dirtier than any other animal you choose to have indoors, plus they give you breakfast. Your choice.
smile.png
Just make it a good experience for them.

There is no intention to keep them locked up 24-7, we figured they would be getting out of the cage and wnadering the house as well as a little outside time at the back of the house beside the old shed... its pretty much out of site. I think I will call the town hall right now to see the rules on chickens...

Back
Top Bottom