Chickens ate rat poison

VAchickfarmer

Hatching
Feb 16, 2022
My chickens ate “prowler bait chunx” that have 0.01% Bromethalin. It’s not the anticoagulant, it has neurological effects. We gave them activated charcoal within 2-4 hours and they survived with no symptoms ever developing! I talked to the rat bait company and she said they did not consume a toxic dose. Only 1-2 blocks were missing and at least 15 chickens had access to it. She said 1 chicken would have to consume an entire block to be toxic. Now I don’t know what to do about the eggs. I’m worried about eating them, the company didn’t have any info about egg safety after poison exposure. I’ve contacted the Food Animal Residue Avoidance Bank, but haven’t gotten a response yet. Anyone out there have any info?

I would administer activated charcoal and every two hours for several days and get them to drink a lot of water. To help the liver recuperate milk thistle would be the way to go for me.

And discard the eggs for at least 2-3 weeks.

Thanks for the responses. I still have not heard from the FARAB, the form online and the message on the phone number I called make it sound like you must be a veterinarian. So I may not get a response.
The chickens are still doing great, no signs at all. It’s been 1 week and 3 days.
I’ll try the milk thistle. Would this clean the liver and decrease likelihood of toxicity in the eggs?

Back
Top Bottom