Chickens digging on the "fence line"?

Do your chickens dig where the hardware cloth meets the dirt?

• Yes

Votes: 19 95.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters

barred2rock

Crowing
Mar 4, 2017
San De Cristo Range - Colorado Rockies
What do y'all do about chickens digging where the hardware cloth meets the dirt? My hardware cloth is only about 1 1/2' deep (ground too hard). The chickens are dust bathing and digging holes about a foot deep. I'm worried a predator maybe able to push the hardware cloth in & out.

My girls do dig at the walls of their run but there are rocks all around the outside so they just expose the rocks. I'm also in the suburbs of a city, with no predators to really worry about.

My other run (that I built) has a "skirt" on the outside. If I were you, I would definitely add a skirt/rocks/both. If you've got "bad" predators, I'd do it both inside and outside. Predators can definitely dig under "just wire".

Mine do the same thing. They are most interested in the perimeter of their run. I can't figure out why lol it's a bit odd... I try to put entertaining things, like their treat dish and water with floating ice, in the center of the run so they keep busy. I think it's okay as long as they aren't actually digging up the hardware cloth. Perhaps you could place some large rocks over the area so they can't dust bathe there?

Mine do this..just a chicken thing and it drives me. They have plenty of other places.....i got them to stop in an area by putting a thick layer of hay along the back wall. Really thick layer and they stopped. They were unable to get to the dirt.

Mine do the same thing. They are most interested in the perimeter of their run. I can't figure out why lol it's a bit odd... I try to put entertaining things, like their treat dish and water with floating ice, in the center of the run so they keep busy. I think it's okay as long as they aren't actually digging up the hardware cloth. Perhaps you could place some large rocks over the area so they can't dust bathe there?

I moved some rock today, but it might take a month to get it done. I have chronic back pain and can only do so much. :he

Chickens dig because they're chickens. It trims their nails, they find grit, it provides a hole to dust bathe, keeps them busy...

I have a fencing "skirt" around the outside that I attached at the bottom of the walls. We put a layer of dirt on the top so it's hidden. Mine has been extensively tested from both sides and proved itself a very effective security feature.

Mine love digging up the edges but the skirt on the outside of the run helps to minimize the damage by holding the dirt in, as they can't effectively dig under it. I fill up holes when I can (which they just excavate again.)

Mine love digging up the edges but the skirt on the outside of the run helps to minimize the damage by holding the dirt in, as they can't effectively dig under it. I fill up holes when I can (which they just excavate again.)
Well, not too far anyway, but mine sure try. I've had them dig out from under concrete blocks far enough to just about topple them(I fixed them before they fell).

I had to put logs and lumber along the inside of run...on one run I put an apron on the inside in spots.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/excavation-by-birds-a-word-of-warning.1086535/

I've had them dig out from under concrete blocks far enough to just about topple them
What is with the trying to undermine blocks? I put my girls' water containers on some bricks, nice and stable and then they come along and pull all the sand out from the edges. I moved them quite close to the wall of the run so they couldn't get along the side,and they still managed to undermine the corner they could get at.

Still, their digging skills can be put to good use when you want a bit of garden turned over. Just send in the chooks and they do it for you.

Back
Top Bottom