Chickens eating the turkey!

Doddeldoo

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 12, 2007
Oak View Ca.
I had notice some blood droppings the other day, then when the tom started fanning his tail feathers I saw a huge hole in his behind, and the chickens kept pecking at it. Its really bad, down to bone!
I have no way of separating them.
I tried putting a patch over it, but it came off. I have been trying to find someone who wants to take the turkey, but no luck so far.
Hes a great gentle bird, and deserves better than getting eaten alive! Anyone out there want a 6 month old broad breasted tom for a pet!
Im in S. Cal Ojai area.

Last edited:
Can you separate them with chickenwire? You need to go get some blu kote for the bloody area. Apply after you rinse the area with warm water and check for maggots.
Your turkey can die from these injuries if they get infected.

I would take him in a heartbeat if I was closer.

Sorry this is happening. Once started a wound like that attracts the chickens to peck. As Terrie said the blue wound dressings for horses work well to hide the redness and so the chickens don't notice it so much anymore. It also deals with infection if it's starting.

You might not be aware but your tom will not do well as a pet. The broad breasted versions of the breeds are bred for meat and most often start having really bad leg problems at about a year of age. They just get too heavy and can't support themselves anymore and get very painful arthritic changes and even dislocations. It's sad as they often have wonderful tempraments. If your going to rehome him it might be kindest for him to find someone that will process him.
sad.png

I have the same problem with my tom. I have two turkeys in with my chickens. They haven't bothered the hen at all but the poor tom has had it rough. He doesn't hardly have any of his big tail and wing feathers left and now the chickens are starting to pick at his butt. I have put peroxide on him a couple of times and it helps temporarily. But after a few days when I think he is getting better they start picking at him again. I went to the deer lease this weekend and come back and now there is an actual hole deep enough that I could probably put the tip of my pinky finger into. I like you do not have a place to seperate them. I'm not sure what to do.

Does anyone know if there is anything else that I/we can put on these wounds that would treat it as well as prevent the chickens from picking? Home remedies etc... Also I have never heard of blu kot. Would they carry this at the typical feed store? Any other advice I think we would both appreciate.

I feel your pain doddeldoo. I hope we find a solution soon.

Keeping turkeys with chickens is not generally recommended as chickens are carriers of the worm that turkeys get Blackhead disease from(and most often it is the turkeys that pick on and even kill the chickens) so really your best solution is to plan for separation. Blu-kote should be in any feed store that deals with horse stuff, but it comes under many names. Look for a purple liquid wound dressing. As for home remedies you can try flour or corn starch until you can get to the feed store just to stop the bleeding and take away some of the red that is attracting the picking.

Thanks everyone.
Im afraid your right about what would be best for them. It's going to be difficult knowing they will be on a Thanksgiving table, but better than a feast for the chickens.
sad.png

I am giving up as well. The hen seems to be doing fine in with the chickens and I will leave her be. I have segregated the Tom for now. When he heals up I will put him to the block.

Although there is much truth to the idea that turkeys and chickens don't mix. I have seen many occasions where a broody turkey hen will set as good as a bantam. My brother has one that hatched out 8 chicken eggs only about a week ago. My mistake here is that I hoped I could have a Tom too. The unexpected thing is that it's not the Roos picking him apart... it's the hens.

He's recovering now and when he is well and he is a few pounds heavier, I will do the deed. Should be just in time for Thanksgiving.

One more note of experience learned.... A Turkey will spill enough feed every feeding to feed somewhere around 3-5 chickens. It drove me nuts until I finally accepted the type of Turkeys that I had on my hands. Meat..... Nothing more. They are not very coordinated.

Thanks for all the advice.

Again Doddeldoo, I feel your pain. They have great personalities.

Seramas Rock!

Brothab

Back
Top Bottom