Chickens Galore in Norco, Ca

thanks :) i had a very nice experience overal when i visit chicken galore and i will buy from him again as soon as he starts getting silver and golden laced chicks for sure he has some 3-4 months pullets but theyre quite pricey ($25 per chicken) but i guess i will wait until spring for him to hatch some silver and golden even though he sells this breed for like $15 per chick, its not a whole of a save but $100 equals 4 chickens or i wait and pay $100 for almost 7 chicks
Right on, 

I see where you're coming from with the transportation thing. Every time i've bought from my local feed store, they've used paper bags to so I guess I never questioned it. 

When I talked to Russell on the phone about the sexing thing, before I went over there, he said it's really hard to tell for sure and he can tell about 80% of the time if it's a hen. I think it's partially because he sells so many chicks that are 2 weeks old or under. My understanding is (correct me if I'm wrong) that it becomes easier to sex chicks after a couple of weeks of age as their feathers grow out. 

Either way, I ended up with 2 roosters from Russell, which was disappointing, but i'd still buy from him again in a heart beat. It would be nice if he had a rooster-trade-in policy, but I understand why he doesn't.

Best of luck to you in your chicken raising endeavors Gallito!

I bought 4 girls from Russell in August. A Cochin, A Blue Marans, and 2 Blue Red Laced Wyandottes. He told me he could only 80% guaranty that the chicks we picked where pullets. I was in luck they all ended up pullets. He sent my girls home in a box, but they were about 6 weeks old so just moved out of the brooder the night before I got them. The Wyandottes are single comb but that doesn't bother me. They have not yet started laying but all 4 are healthy happy girls. There was a little bit of Sneezing but they were kept on wood shavings and that is how I kept them too until they were ready to move to the barn which has an outdoor run on dirt. Some sneezing is par for the course when using wood shavings as their primary bedding. No more sneezing when they all joined up in the big girl pen.

I would buy from Russell again, if only he had Speckled Sussex ;)

LOL while out at the coop yesterday I looked a little closer at my BLRW fro Chicken's Galore. They both have rose combs. I don't know what I was thinking when I posted they had single combs???

Last edited:
If your looking for silkies in Norco California may I suggest trying Amber Waves? They have exceptional birds. they also ship. they offer hen guarentees and DNA sex testing for their silkies. I myself just purchased a 9 week old buff silkie dna sexed female.i will attach some pictures of her. You really need to call them because you can't always count on their web site to reflect what they actually have for sale.i called and found my bird and she was not advertised as for sale.i think you will be very pleased with the quality of silkies Amber Waves has. they are located in Norco California and will ship. They can be a bit more expensive but I'm very pleased with their birds. Make sure and call because I know they have some hatching very soon and they have dna out on six birds right now. here is my bird. she just arrived last wed. She is ONLY about 9 weeks old.

She is pretty. If I were into silkies I would Go to Amber Waves. I have only heard good things about them. Silkies wouldn't do well in the mountains, They would love our mild summers, but in the winter they would freeze their cute little topknots off :( So I must accept my limitations.

Awww I understand. I thought silkies could handle cold winters?? It doesn't get very cold where I live so I'm not sure. Have you considered having a breeder ship to you from another state? I also live in southern California and I just recently purchased two 9 week old silkies from a breeder in illonis. She shipped them to me and shipping was very reasonable! They traveled thousands of miles but arrived on time safely and healthy. It took 2 and 1/2 days shipping. It was the first time I ordered from so far away but it worked out wonderfully. So perhaps consider a breeder in a different state this way your not so limited. I was concerned at first how far away they were coming from but they were perfectly fine and the trip didn't bother them one bit. one was 5 weeks old the other 9 weeks. They did wonderfully. They arrived strong and healthy. You might consider doing that? Most breeders don't have a problem shipping. To go from Illinois to California it was only 60 dollars! You might check out breeders from different States to get your stock And this way you won't have so many limitations. My birds did great on their long trip and they are babies! Hope this helps. Give it some thought. This way a breeder can just ship your birds from another state and you need not worry about having such a limited choice of breeders. Best wishes and hope this was helpful

For those of you who have purchased older pullets from Chickens Galore, how long did you quarantine them, the full 30 days or shorter? I love the added protection/security knowing they vaccinate. I've purchased two 12 wk old Barred Rocks from there. Russell's facility is really nice and he is so very knowledgeable. I know this is an older thread but wanted to get more info
big_smile.png
Thanks!!

Your girls are beautiful! I quarantined my new girls, two Barred Rocks that are 14 weeks now, for a couple days and have had them in a dog crate in the run, they're slowly integrating but it's gone really good so far
big_smile.png
Our other girls are 19 weeks and our other Barred Rock has taken to the new girls
smile.png
Thanks for your reply!

I have gotten 6 birds From Russell at Chickens Galore. One turned out to be a rooster and he offered to replace it for free. I have worked with Russell for many years in another industry, and he is a very reputable and honest businessman. Always willing to answer questions and give advice about birds.

Aaron

Back
Top Bottom