Chickens In Ya Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's what the windows are for
wink.png
roll.png

Embarrassing story of the year.....

yesterday I found out our dehumidifier had overflowed in the lower level.

now going back to when we got the new unit, I had specifically purchased because it had a thin hose that could be connected and run outside for a hassle free run. After arguing with hubs he insisted he was going to empty it daily and we didnt need to hook it up and run it outside, for that was too much work (SAY WHAT????) this was just after one of my surgeries and for some dumb reason I didnt have any fight in me and didnt care and left him deal with it, this always ends up a disaster.... ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS!!!! NO IFS ANDS OR BUTS, he will admit it too!

so I go downstairs yesterday after a week of not being down there and OMG the smell was disgusting!!! the kids had the cushions from the couch on the floor cushions stuffed animals all over the floor, covers, my sheepskins, puzzles, games, anything that could soak up water was on the floor! AND IT DID! I flipped out, now my husband comes and goes daily via lower level!!! need I say more?

somad.gif
he doesnt deserve a smack, he deserves prison! He isnt a dumb person, I have NO clue what was going on in his mind, absolutely no clue, I have no excuse for him, I have no reasoning behind his madness, I cannot figure any of this out, this is beyond sanity. I think he is seriously insane at this point, seriously what in the world possessed him to ignore such a thing?????? he said he though it a dirty sock!!!!

A FREAKING DIRTY SOCK???????????????????????????

now my question is this.... can I get the smell out of the carpet or do I have to replace it? I know I need to replace the furniture but the carpet?
hit.gif
I worked so hard down there

You can try a professional restoration service, but replacing the carpet will probably be cheaper. I am so sorry.

I haven't seen a dehumidifier with a tub that didn't have a shut off float. If you run the water into a bucket or something (removing the bin to do so) then that would override the float. What did he do? And make him clean everything up!

If you have a big tub into which a very mild sanitizing solution can be used, you may be able to salvage some items. Stuffed animals may be able to go through the laundry, at least they have a chance that way.

You can try a professional restoration service, but replacing the carpet will probably be cheaper. I am so sorry.

I haven't seen a dehumidifier with a tub that didn't have a shut off float. If you run the water into a bucket or something (removing the bin to do so) then that would override the float. What did he do? And make him clean everything up!

If you have a big tub into which a very mild sanitizing solution can be used, you may be able to salvage some items. Stuffed animals may be able to go through the laundry, at least they have a chance that way.
he worked yesterday so I had to clean it up!

I soaked as much as I could with towels and covers and washed them and repeated and repeated then finally sprayed with Fabreze but it still smells. oh and had the ceiling fans on and all other fans I could drag down on it too. Its a tan carpet so I may attempt a rental cleaner with a tad bleach before I rip it out, mom just said she heard of that at cabins so we can attempt it at a last resort.

kids stuff I dont care about, they have enough other stuff upstairs yet. the couch cushions are not washable or bleachable as its chocolate in color. it WAS brand new!!! wonder if homeowners would cover anything, I think I can at least call and talk to them Monday

I will admit its MY fault that my kids had a mess downstairs, I typically dont let them make a mess and leave it, but we had company show up and I forgot it last weekend! they had made forts out of the cushions
hit.gif
so I cant blame it ALL on hubs

Attempting a cleaning with a rental machine will not fix it. Saturated carpeting will grow mold in and under it. Professional extraction/dehumidifier/fan systems used in flood and fire restoration are only moderately successful, howmeowner class rental equipment will not help. If you can remove most of the moisture and can find this product or a similar product http://tinyurl.com/pjcw764 at a janitorial supply store then you may be able to save carpet and upholstery. You will need to use the dehumidifier too.

There are other sanitizers besides bleach. If you can unzip the covers from the cushions and treat them separately you may be able to save the upholstery.

Attempting a cleaning with a rental machine will not fix it. Saturated carpeting will grow mold in and under it. Professional extraction/dehumidifier/fan systems used in flood and fire restoration are only moderately successful, howmeowner class rental equipment will not help. If you can remove most of the moisture and can find this product or a similar product http://tinyurl.com/pjcw764 at a janitorial supply store then you may be able to save carpet and upholstery. You will need to use the dehumidifier too.

There are other sanitizers besides bleach. If you can unzip the covers from the cushions and treat them separately you may be able to save the upholstery.
thumbsup.gif
ok thanks! will make calls and check out that too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom