Chickens - Pets Or Slaves

GimmeCake

Songster
6 Years
May 8, 2013
I have a quick question to all of you chicken people. Do you view your flock as egg laying pet birds or egg laying slaves? If not either of these, what do you think about them?

It's definitely wrong to think of your chickens as slaves rather than egg laying pets. Chickens have a right to be free as much as any other animal. How would you like if somebody thought of you as their slave?

Last edited:
I think of my flock as livestock. I care for them, give them a great diet, protect them, let some of them produce offspring. They lay eggs which I collect, I eat their eggs, sell their eggs, and use some of the chickens for meat. An animal cannot be called a slave. My chickens look to me to provide for their needs, which I do. I care about my chickens, yet I also realize that not all can stay around forever. They live good lives, and seem quite happy, though I can't read their minds.....

I do my part, they do theirs.

At the age of my little flock, I think of them as a bunch of spoiled, bratty, grape guzzling pets lol who have yet to give me my first egg. Soon I hope to find an egg though
fl.gif

I think of my flock as livestock. I care for them, give them a great diet, protect them, let some of them produce offspring. They lay eggs which I collect, I eat their eggs, sell their eggs, and use some of the chickens for meat. An animal cannot be called a slave. My chickens look to me to provide for their needs, which I do. I care about my chickens, yet I also realize that not all can stay around forever. They live good lives, and seem quite happy, though I can't read their minds.....

goodpost.gif

I live in harmony with all of our animals. Some animals provide eggs or milk or purrrrr or even bark at intruders. Some just live in peace and show love. I care for them and provide love back to them.

thumbsup.gif

That question could ruffle some feathers! I don't see why eggs has much to do with it, they lay them regardless of being "pets" or "slaves". Mine are strictly pets, I guess. It's just like a hobby, anyway. Yes, there are some who raise them just because of the meat or eggs, but I'm not sure that's slavery, as long as they have a good, well cared for life.

Couldn't have said it better myself. My chickens are not pets or slaves. They are livestock.

It's more mutualism than anything else.

Back
Top Bottom