Chickens - Pets Or Slaves

I think like many, I am a slave to my chickens. They are more pets, or rather part of the family at this point. I am always looking out for their well being and provide them a clean, healthy and happy environment. I check on them early every morning, throughout the day and check on them when it is roost time. Who doesn't do a head count every night?

Nature Lawn Mowers is how I see them currently since they don't give us eggs yet but not cutting the grass so often is great!!
or
Lawn Vaccuum Cleaners
or
Why I Dont Pay for Pest Control to come spray any longer
or
Alarm Clocks since their run is right out side my bedroom window and they know it so they cluck and peck my window at dawn
or
The coolest reality TV show ever!!!

I am their slave...food bringer to them. In return they don't peck me to death and hopefully at some point in the next month or so an egg will be given in appreciation for me caring for them

You mean no one else here makes your chickens clean the house and cook the food?!

LOL.

I can't even raise my birds for meat. Most of these guys I hatched myself. Unless if they get real ugly natured they are set for life from birth and even if they are too mean to keep, someone else would have to do that deed. I am the great food giver. The portable perch.

You mean no one else here makes your chickens clean the house and cook the food?!

LOL.

I can't even raise my birds for meat. Most of these guys I hatched myself. Unless if they get real ugly natured they are set for life from birth and even if they are too mean to keep, someone else would have to do that deed. I am the great food giver. The portable perch.

LOL potable perch seems an accurate thing

Personally, and this goes for any animal I have beyond my house cat (and this used to apply to him until he became permanently handicapped), I expect for any animal I have to perform whatever function they were purchased for. My horses are winning competition animals, the barn cats keep the rat population at bay, the chickens will (once they are old enough) provide eggs and help weed my gardens. In exchange for this I provide the very best food and care, a guaranteed home for life, and often they become members of our family. I don't necessarily think of any given animal as a pet (although given how my critters are spoiled many would beg to differ), but I certainly don't think of them as slaves!

Personally, and this goes for any animal I have beyond my house cat (and this used to apply to him until he became permanently handicapped), I expect for any animal I have to perform whatever function they were purchased for. My horses are winning competition animals, the barn cats keep the rat population at bay, the chickens will (once they are old enough) provide eggs and help weed my gardens. In exchange for this I provide the very best food and care, a guaranteed home for life, and often they become members of our family. I don't necessarily think of any given animal as a pet (although given how my critters are spoiled many would beg to differ), but I certainly don't think of them as slaves!

BuckeyeFoodie--sounds like you're a new chicken owner, so I want to give you fair warning--don't let chickens anywhere near your garden. I know there's a lot of information out there that says chickens will weed your garden and rid it of bugs while providing free fertilizer, but I seriously don't think any of it was written by a person who actually has chickens. I think it's a beautiful bedtime story that city people tell themselves as they romanticize the country and farmers.

Chickens are garden destroyers. They dig out seeds and seedlings with scratching. They destroy the roots of older plants. They eat some plants down to the ground. They will eat holes in your tomatoes and squashes. They LOVE mulch, and will dig it out of all the beds. They will dig out your bedding plants in order to scratch in the nice soft dirt you've made for them. Chickens will cause far more destruction than they will do good in your garden. Sure, the pullets are cute now, and don't cause much harm. But just wait until they get close to point of lay. The destruction will increase exponentially.

I, too, bought into the fallacy of chickens as garden friends. Now, I patrol the pasture fence ruthlessly looking for holes, and any hen over the fence has her wings clipped before I put her back. If you've ever waited patiently for a long-season heirloom tomato to ripen only to find a chicken eating it the day before it's truly ripe, or baby a new variety of watermelon along only to find all the straw you put under it scratched out and the plant itself lying in pieces in your garden, you'll understand the rage and overwhelming desire for chicken stew that comes over you.

Last edited:
Yeah... my FIL'S guineas wrecked his garden so bad a few years back that there was guinea gumbo the next night and there hasn't been a guinea since. Measures should be taken to prevent the birds from doing more then you wish or else you'll come to miss minor bug damage.

I was thinking of BuckeyeFoodie when I responded to this thread a few seconds ago: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/796778/chickens-in-my-garden-im-going-nuts

Thought they'd like a perspective that's not mine, in case they've been warped by the Martha Stewarts and P. Allen Smiths of the world (both of whom say chickens are awesome in the garden--and both of whom have gardens that clearly have never seen a chicken.)

What My Chickens Are:

* A source for-
1) Eggs
2) Meat, when it is necessary

* Alarm Clocks-
1) My roosters' crows
2) My hens' egg songs

* Moving Lawn Ornaments-
1) The reason I have Sumatras and Phoenix, and a ton of other pretty breeds
2) The reason I have roosters

* Garbage Cans-
1) They'll eat anything!!