Chickens - Pets Or Slaves

The phrasing of this question is really quite inflammatory.

Chickens are livestock. The purpose of the existence of livestock is to benefit humans.

Chickens are animals, not humans. Only humans can be enslaved. Domestic animals are property by nature.

Some people make pets of their livestock, many people become quite fond of their livestock and enjoy their personalities, and only sick, disturbed people would keep animals that they disliked and did not want to be healthy and well-treated. But the moral responsibility to treat livestock well does not change the fact that they are inherently animals kept for the purpose of human benefit.

There is no incompatibility between loving and enjoying chickens and expecting them to earn their keep by doing what chickens do -- keep pests down in the yard and garden, providing eggs, and, when appropriate, providing dinner.

The phrasing of this question is really quite inflammatory.

Chickens are livestock. The purpose of the existence of livestock is to benefit humans.

Chickens are animals, not humans. Only humans can be enslaved. Domestic animals are property by nature.

Some people make pets of their livestock, many people become quite fond of their livestock and enjoy their personalities, and only sick, disturbed people would keep animals that they disliked and did not want to be healthy and well-treated. But the moral responsibility to treat livestock well does not change the fact that they are inherently animals kept for the purpose of human benefit.

There is no incompatibility between loving and enjoying chickens and expecting them to earn their keep by doing what chickens do -- keep pests down in the yard and garden, providing eggs, and, when appropriate, providing dinner.

Well said!

DEFINITELY pets... cause we care for them and spoil them, and if/when one gets grabbed by a predator (ours free range on over 5 acres) it is heartbreaking!!! In return for the care and love we provide, they provide eggs, and almost everyday we get an egg from each, so I assume they are also very happy. And as you can tell by my ID, sometimes our hens make it into the house to say "Hello" or even to lay an egg in the corner of the kitchen!!!!! So NO way a slave here!!! We are the slaves to them if anything LOL...rushing home by dusk to make sure we can lock up the coop in time
barnie.gif

Maybe perhaps the factory chickens zap with electricity to produce an egg, who aren't allowed to even stand up they are cramped in so tight you could consider a slave, or more just animal cruelty. Until having chickens I NEVER would have realized how amazingly smart, social and loving they are!!!!

i think them of livestock, not pets (i would not eat a pet) or slaves (loaded word). i do ensure a safe/secure place for them, and provide with food. i can say that my birds have better living conditions than 99% of the chickens in the world, and i would not have it any other way.

I would expect a slave to do a whole lot more than just laying eggs. I'd want the housework and laundry done too, lol.
My hens are certainly pets, they all have names and are happy to be cuddled in return for food and shelter. I love that they pay for their keep with eggs.

My chickens are family members! They come in my house, beg to be held, and I try my best to treat them like family. My chickens are more then pets they are family. I love them so much. I don't care about the eggs. I don't use them for meat or show. They are family. Do you use family members for eggs? No! Do u use family members for meat and/or show? No! Well hopefully my chickens feel like they are part of my family I would sure hope so! They do have 40 acres to run on. Come in the house when ever they want. I cry so hard when they die. All of them have names. They are like dogs truly. They are smart like dogs. Kind like dogs. Come in the house like dogs. Care about there chicks like dogs care about there puppies. I could never call my chickens anything but family members. I spoil them so much. They must have a pretty good life for a chicken. Chickens in factory farms sit in small cages that they cant move in their whole life. I don't see how people can lock there chickens in cage like that. I dislike factory farms. That's why I love BYC everyone has a backyard flock! Well my reply is my chickens are FAMILY MEMBERS!

Last edited:
I agree with the others..I am their slave and they are getting to be spoiled brats :) I like to think of everyone working together... I give them protection and food they give me bug control, poop and hopefully soon eggs oh and of course laughter at their antics! :) I try not to kill anything if I don't have to... I'm constantly saving bees and butterflies from my greenhouse or not mowing so low to kill off the bees favorite clover etc... I think nature is so fun and interesting and unless there is a reason to, I prefer not to disturb it too much.

DEFINITELY pets... cause we care for them and spoil them, and if/when one gets grabbed by a predator (ours free range on over 5 acres) it is heartbreaking!!! In return for the care and love we provide, they provide eggs, and almost everyday we get an egg from each, so I assume they are also very happy. And as you can tell by my ID, sometimes our hens make it into the house to say "Hello" or even to lay an egg in the corner of the kitchen!!!!! So NO way a slave here!!! We are the slaves to them if anything LOL...rushing home by dusk to make sure we can lock up the coop in time
barnie.gif

Maybe perhaps the factory chickens zap with electricity to produce an egg, who aren't allowed to even stand up they are cramped in so tight you could consider a slave, or more just animal cruelty. Until having chickens I NEVER would have realized how amazingly smart, social and loving they are!!!!
LOL My chickens lay eggs in my house all the time! I had a BA hen who layed eggs on my couch then she hatched 10 chickens on the couch! To read more about it click the link to the funny story below each of my posts.

I agree with the others..I am their slave and they are getting to be spoiled brats :) I like to think of everyone working together... I give them protection and food they give me bug control, poop and hopefully soon eggs oh and of course laughter at their antics! :) I try not to kill anything if I don't have to... I'm constantly saving bees and butterflies from my greenhouse or not mowing so low to kill off the bees favorite clover etc... I think nature is so fun and interesting and unless there is a reason to, I prefer not to disturb it too much.
X2!

Back
Top Bottom