Chickenstock fiesta yardsale August 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
This economy is really affecting the animals as badly as the humans. When will it turn around? I am more afraid every day as to where things are headed. I know that I am seriously trying to convince Wayne to move to a warmer climate so that we dont have the expense of oil, winter clothing and are not just working to make the oil companies richer. Our gov't. needs to step up and do something about the pricing. We are not in a shortage, so why the hight prices. And the thing that cracks me up is when I drive by a BP station and see their gas is priced 20 cents higher than others. They should be giving it away after that Gulf crisis!

Chickie'sMoma :

i'm afraid it my be croyza.
sad.png
birds are getting goopy eyes, looks like the sinuses are filling up and causing them to have labored breathing and gasping for breath until they die, not eating or drinking and runny poop from those that are showing signs of it. seems to be mostly affecting my favs but one of my cochin cockerels is starting to show it now too, and poor Chickie just started sneezing a lot when i walked by his pen. i lost my brahma hen who was 2 yrs, one of my fav cockerels that was 7mo, and one of my fav hens is not much longer, which i need to go check on her again. my favorite young girl Delilah has been in and out of it-looking ok for some time and then gooping back up.

this started a few days ago when i noticed my garage door open when i got home from work. i think they got too much of a draft from that and it stressed them out. i just did a partial change of their shavings last week. now i will have to do a full change of everyone's and scrub down the whole place! i have to do this in freezing weather if it doesn't plan to warm up soon, and on top of that i have no heater in there that is big enough to keep it cozy without costing me some $$$! i can't keep bring the birds into the house anymore. i have some young ones and a broody on eggs that haven't shown any signs yet and i don't want them to!

i am going to drop off the birds at UNH to be sure of what it is. they are only about 30 minutes from my house and work so it is not far for me to take them.

i won't be doing swaps if this is the case. i don't want to worry about other birds getting this if mine have become carriers.

Please keep us posted. Can you also ask them about how a healthy flock could all of a sudden get something like this and what it means for you adding or selling chickens in the future? Is there a way to rid your coops and grounds of whatever it will turn out to be? It seems like this year there has been so many chicken illnesses. I hope we can all manage to get things figured out. Good luck and let us know. I hope it is not anything that will keep you from coming to the swaps, I know how much you enjoyed them with all of us.​

I wonder if it is something spread by wild birds. I can't remember who posted that their vet said chickens are getting sick from the wild birds. I wonder if birds got into the garage to get at the chicken feed.

I've got an insulated coop (8x10) and I've been keeping the birds inside it full time now. I also have a heat lamp over the serama cage. Most days it is not below freezing in there, though during the recent cold snap I did have a few water cups freeze up. But those are just in the cages. The "free-coopers" have a waterer base heater. I am soooo scared to see this month's electric bill.
hmm.png
Thankfully no one has shown any sign of any respiratory distress, so it's worth it to me. Easy for me to say, since I'm not the one paying the bill.

I hope you get some answers (and effective treatment) soon!

Chickie'sMoma :

i'm afraid it my be croyza.
sad.png
birds are getting goopy eyes, looks like the sinuses are filling up and causing them to have labored breathing and gasping for breath until they die, not eating or drinking and runny poop from those that are showing signs of it. seems to be mostly affecting my favs but one of my cochin cockerels is starting to show it now too, and poor Chickie just started sneezing a lot when i walked by his pen. i lost my brahma hen who was 2 yrs, one of my fav cockerels that was 7mo, and one of my fav hens is not much longer, which i need to go check on her again. my favorite young girl Delilah has been in and out of it-looking ok for some time and then gooping back up. this started a few days ago when i noticed my garage door open when i got home from work. i think they got too much of a draft from that and it stressed them out. i just did a partial change of their shavings last week. now i will have to do a full change of everyone's and scrub down the whole place! i have to do this in freezing weather if it doesn't plan to warm up soon, and on top of that i have no heater in there that is big enough to keep it cozy without costing me some $$$! i can't keep bring the birds into the house anymore. i have some young ones and a broody on eggs that haven't shown any signs yet and i don't want them to! i am going to drop off the birds at UNH to be sure of what it is. they are only about 30 minutes from my house and work so it is not far for me to take them.i won't be doing swaps if this is the case. i don't want to worry about other birds getting this if mine have become carriers.

So sorry u r going through this if it is corzy there eyer will have nasty yellow cheese stuff in the eyes and will smell really bad​

Quote:
So sorry u r going through this if it is corzy there eyer will have nasty yellow cheese stuff in the eyes and will smell really bad

they have it all!
sad.png
i wish the Dept of AG and UNH were open today but they were closed due to MLK day. i lost my lady Athena this afternoon when i got home. but the others that i gave the tylan injection to are looking a little better. i also used some terrimicin on their eyes to try and clear them of any bacteria that may have gotten into them while they were closed up. i have to give my barred cochin Moxie his follow up in a little bit. this could take weeks to clear up and then they will still be carriers

i really like going to the swaps but i really don't want my birds to be carriers of this. i can vaccinate any newbies i add but then they become carriers too and can infect other non-vaccinated birds if they get stressed. here's a link to some info on it. now i have to start all over on my cuckoo fav project when my birds pass on.
sad.png

http://www.peafowl.org/ARTICLES/15/

Chickie'sMoma :

Quote:
So sorry u r going through this if it is corzy there eyer will have nasty yellow cheese stuff in the eyes and will smell really bad

they have it all!
sad.png
i wish the Dept of AG and UNH were open today but they were closed due to MLK day. i lost my lady Athena this afternoon when i got home. but the others that i gave the tylan injection to are looking a little better. i also used some terrimicin on their eyes to try and clear them of any bacteria that may have gotten into them while they were closed up. i have to give my barred cochin Moxie his follow up in a little bit. this could take weeks to clear up and then they will still be carriers

i really like going to the swaps but i really don't want my birds to be carriers of this. i can vaccinate any newbies i add but then they become carriers too and can infect other non-vaccinated birds if they get stressed. here's a link to some info on it. now i have to start all over on my cuckoo fav project when my birds pass on.
sad.png

I feel for you, This is so devastating and I hope it is just something less devastating. Doc Brown said mine had sinusitus...is it possible that could be what yours have? How bad was the odor from their eyes/nostrils? I swear by the tylan...it really helps so fast. Please keep us informed, and again, I hope it is not as serious as you think. But I also did hear that wild birds are pssing this on to our poultry too. I think I am going to only feed in the coop from now on so as to not attract the wild birds, either that, or feed the wild birds on the other side of my property.

Chickie'sMoma :

they have it all!
sad.png

sad.png

I can't imagine where it could have come from. I've never known anyone to have had it.

How many have you lost so far?​

so far i have lost 3 of my bantam favs (2 hens and 1 cockerel), and my 1 bantam buff brahma hen. one of the fav hens didn't have the gooped up eyes or the bad breath, but she was starting to breath hard and then yesterday morning just before going to work i tried to give her some water since i thought she wasn't drinking. i put her back in the cage and then she thrashed and died!
hit.gif
not something i wanted to witness just before having to leave for work. i am happy my dh is home and awake now when i have to go to work. he helped me

i'm hoping i have stopped it from getting to the rest of the flock. Dept of Ag has not called me back yet. and i tried looking up the location where i need to send/drop off the corpses but they don't list it anywhere on UNH website or the AG site, and the UNH extension office is in Manchester over an hour away and only opened from 9am till 2pm! i was planning on getting my flock retested for NPIP and then THIS nightmare had to happen!

Chickie'sMoma :

so far i have lost 3 of my bantam favs (2 hens and 1 cockerel), and my 1 bantam buff brahma hen. one of the fav hens didn't have the gooped up eyes or the bad breath, but she was starting to breath hard and then yesterday morning just before going to work i tried to give her some water since i thought she wasn't drinking. i put her back in the cage and then she thrashed and died!
hit.gif
not something i wanted to witness just before having to leave for work. i am happy my dh is home and awake now when i have to go to work. he helped me

i'm hoping i have stopped it from getting to the rest of the flock. Dept of Ag has not called me back yet. and i tried looking up the location where i need to send/drop off the corpses but they don't list it anywhere on UNH website or the AG site, and the UNH extension office is in Manchester over an hour away and only opened from 9am till 2pm! i was planning on getting my flock retested for NPIP and then THIS nightmare had to happen!

When he came to test my birds last spring, he told me that if there are other things they see in the blood samples they will let you know. I forgot what he said they sometimes will find, but it was something treatable, so maybe ask if you should still get them tested.​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom