*CHICKS are HERE!!!* Egg Candling Pics: Progression Though Incubation

Pics
I see you used a hamster water bottle. Did you offer any other different water source until they figured it out or did you just let them get thirsty and they figured it out on there own. I think using them is better then there is no shavings or poop in the water.

I've only used water bottles for chicks for years provided there were few enough chicks per bottle on hand. I find it cleaner and easier to manage. Just tap on the tip of the bottle and once a few figure it out, they all learn quick. Just keep an eye on them and make sure they all tap it on their own at least once. If you have a few dozen in a brooder, just watch for anyone who is straining to eliminate. If they are straining, they haven't figured out the water and you can "show them" but pushing their beak on the ball.

your photos and videos are absolutely awesome !
thumbsup.gif

Fantastic pictures. I am brand new to this. I am trying to hatch 24 eggs. 12 in a store bought incubator and 12 under two hens. I admire the brightness of your candling light. What do you use, and also, the two sitting hens are in the same house, should I separate them? My eggs are mostly brown and my light is just not strong enough. I made a candler from a box using a spotlight for the light source, but it will not shine through the eggs. What do you suggest?

Thanks everyone!

I use a high output flashlight. Anything with 300+ lumen directed out the front of a small flashlight should work. The first post has details and a link.

Happy hatching!

Back
Top Bottom