Chicks feathering question

chik magnet

Songster
10 Years
Jul 3, 2009
Enid OK
I have three silver lakenleder chicks that are 9 weeks old and I bought at the feed store.( their suppose to be pullets ) They have feathers on their heads and necks and some on their wings but thats about it other than a few feathers here and there. My question is whats whats taking them so long to get their feathers ?

Is it warm there or are they inside with lamp? You could turn the lamp off at 7 weeks and make them get some feathers.

They are inside with a heat lamp but it has a 100w bulb in it . It has been in the upper 70's here so I'll get them outside tomarrow.

I've never read that chilling chicks makes them grow feathers. I would hesitate to attempt that. You might get ill or even dead chicks as a result.

Feathers are made from protein. What I would suspect is that maybe they weren't fed properly at the feed store, or wherever they came from before the feed store. Get them on a good quality chick starter with enough protein, and maybe offer supplemental protein until those feathers have come in.

Back
Top Bottom