Chicks straining to poop

williamw30

Hatching
Apr 28, 2023
Hi all,

I have 5 chicks, 12 days old today. 3 are thriving. One had pasty butt and has been straining to poop. I’m worried it might be a prolapsed vent but she is still hanging in there. I’ve done 2 soaks and have moved to preparation h to help with swollen vent. It’s been 3 days and you can tell she looks much smaller then the others now. I’ve been watch her, fortunately she is still eating and drinking but I can tell she’s not well- hiding mostly under the heat source and not with the other birds.

Now, my 5th bird is starting to strain when she poops (loud chirping when pooping).

I don’t think I can take another bird heading down this path. What am I doing wrong?? Help!

Bill

What is their diet? And are you giving them any grit? Try either freezing some coconut oil and giving them small chunks of that to eat, or melting it and adding it to their water. That'll make it easier for them to poop. Can I see a picture of their butts?

Hi all,

I have 5 chicks, 12 days old today. 3 are thriving. One had pasty butt and has been straining to poop. I’m worried it might be a prolapsed vent but she is still hanging in there. I’ve done 2 soaks and have moved to preparation h to help with swollen vent. It’s been 3 days and you can tell she looks much smaller then the others now. I’ve been watch her, fortunately she is still eating and drinking but I can tell she’s not well- hiding mostly under the heat source and not with the other birds.

Now, my 5th bird is starting to strain when she poops (loud chirping when pooping).

I don’t think I can take another bird heading down this path. What am I doing wrong?? Help!

Bill
Welcome To BYC

Please post photos of the chick, her vent and of the brooder set up.
Thanks!

What is the temperature in the brooder on the warm side and cold side?

I’m using medicated chick feed. I’ve removed the hard feed and created mash with it to help them get more water in. I’m using electrolytes and probiotics in the water. Brooder temp is around 75 with heater pad and smaller heat source.

I’ve attached pic of area and my chick that’s have what I think is a prolapsed vent.

All are still eating and drinking, but the two are staining to poop.

I’m gonna try the frozen coconut oil next.

Attachments

• 66B72164-0B99-4FB3-9F52-77458D256CA0.jpeg
    66B72164-0B99-4FB3-9F52-77458D256CA0.jpeg
    75.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 64B1863B-7E62-49EB-B135-18FF255C1879.jpeg
    64B1863B-7E62-49EB-B135-18FF255C1879.jpeg
    445 KB · Views: 18
  • A1A9CDB1-5BE5-4D14-BC40-8BB81C39A6D7.jpeg
    A1A9CDB1-5BE5-4D14-BC40-8BB81C39A6D7.jpeg
    583.3 KB · Views: 19
What is their diet? And are you giving them any grit? Try either freezing some coconut oil and giving them small chunks of that to eat, or melting it and adding it to their water. That'll make it easier for them to poop. Can I see a picture of their butts?
They loved the coconut oil, hopefully this gets things moving along as it were :). Did you see the butt pic?

Welcome To BYC

Please post photos of the chick, her vent and of the brooder set up.
Thanks!

What is the temperature in the brooder on the warm side and cold side?
Posted pics, let me know if you can see them.. still figuring this site out :). Been keeping brooder between 70 and 78 ish. They have a heat plate and smaller heater

They loved the coconut oil, hopefully this gets things moving along as it were :). Did you see the butt pic?
Yes, I did! Just make sure that their butts are always free from poop. Any small build-up can lead to big problems fast. I'm glad that they liked the coconut oil! Keep us posted on how they start doing!

The vent does look swollen.

I'd try soaking her in a warm epsom salts bath to help reduce inflammation. Once you get her cleaned up, dry her well so she doesn't get chilled. A hair dryer works well.

Apply anti-inflammatory cream, oil or honey to the swollen tissue. Work on hydration. Wet food is a good idea.

At that age, staying under the heat most of the time. I'd consider treating all the chicks for Coccidiosis.
Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.

The vent does look swollen.

I'd try soaking her in a warm epsom salts bath to help reduce inflammation. Once you get her cleaned up, dry her well so she doesn't get chilled. A hair dryer works well.

Apply anti-inflammatory cream, oil or honey to the swollen tissue. Work on hydration. Wet food is a good idea.

At that age, staying under the heat most of the time. I'd consider treating all the chicks for Coccidiosis.
Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.
Thank you so much for all that info! I’ve given her a few soak but I’ll added the epson salt. I’ve been using preparation h as the ointment.

Question- the medicated feed has includes Amprolium to aid in prevention of coccidiosis. Do you think I should do an additional dose?

Back
Top Bottom