Chocolate colored chickens

Juliette and Nicalandia,
Would that not be Mauve if she has both chocolate and blue? And if that's the case, then how is it that chocolate could separate and lace the feathers?
What has she been bred to to make chocolates?

I'm needing some help to understand then, it doesn't make sense.

Cathy

Juliette and Nicalandia,
Would that not be Mauve if she has both chocolate and blue? And if that's the case, then how is it that chocolate could separate and lace the feathers?
What has she been bred to to make chocolates?

I'm needing some help to understand then, it doesn't make sense.

Cathy

Cathy-

Blue Pearl was bred to a black tailed white...They produced Hershey Boy, Lacey Louie, Sir Lancelot, and Cadbury...I don't know how, but they did...I was as surprised as anyone else :)

Junior X Blue Pearl
Produced=

Hershey Boy

Cadbury

Sir Lancelot

Lacey Louie

I agree, if the Blue is a good, clearly-laced Blue, then the Mauve offspring from a breeding to chocolate also are well-laced. I was seeing very nice lacing in my Ameraucanas, but not Blue AND Chocolate, but a unique color that looks more like a chocolate milk with a drop of steel. Gorgeous.

Here is one of my girls:

There is no such color as chocolate laced blue. Both blue and chocolate do the same thing to black so the result is an all over dilution of black. Blues can vary in phenotype a whole lot and some blues will fade making that lacing look brownish. I have a blue hen that is that way, you would swear she's dun or something other than blue. It's sort of a rusty brown color. I have had blues that were a pale, soft baby blue color, some that are the typical andalusian blue type and some that were really dark with no lacing. Some have had that rustiness in the neck hackles, mostly the hens, Blue is a dilution of black, which is often a very melanized "other color" so I'm figuring that the differences in blues has to do with the other genes they carry,

The pullet at the bottom doesn't appear chocolate, what breed is it? It looks to me to be a very melanised "other" color, What were the parents color?

The pullets are full sisters, Mother is a sumatra hen and father is a blue breasted red cross breed cock.

Cathy-

Blue Pearl was bred to a black tailed white...They produced Hershey Boy, Lacey Louie, Sir Lancelot, and Cadbury...I don't know how, but they did...I was as surprised as anyone else :)

Junior X Blue Pearl
Produced=

Hershey Boy

Cadbury

Sir Lancelot

Lacey Louie

Juliette,
Blue Pearl looks blue to me. She could not be the source of chocolate for her baby boys, the black tailed white rooster must carry chocolate because it's sex linked....... all cockerels out of a chocolate hen and a non chocolate rooster could only be chocolate carriers, not chocolate themselves and if she isn't chocolate herself then she can't carry it and can't make chocolate chicks unless bred to a chocolate or chocolate carrier rooster. A white rooster can definitely carry chocolate.

Last edited:
Blue(Bl/bl+) Cant dilute Pg and Ml(lacing) on a Extended black background, allowing chocolate(or Dun) to Dilute it... on the rest of the body, blue and chocolate mixed together and makes for a Mauve/Platinum blue colored bird..
Good to know, I was not aware of that. Wouldn't there still be no such color as chocolate laced blue then? It would be chocolate laced mauve then?

Last edited:
Juliette,
Blue Pearl looks blue to me. She could not be the source of chocolate for her baby boys, the black tailed white rooster must carry chocolate because it's sex linked....... all cockerels out of a chocolate hen and a non chocolate rooster could only be chocolate carriers, not chocolate themselves and if she isn't chocolate herself then she can't carry it and can't make chocolate chicks unless bred to a chocolate or chocolate carrier rooster. A white rooster can definitely carry chocolate.

Blue Pearl is probably Dun, not sex linked Chocolate. That would explain the chocolate color of her offspring. It would also explain why she herself doesn't look chocolate, Dun can vary in shade.

Back
Top Bottom