Chocolate colored chickens

Juliette,
How do the offspring of blue pearl breed colorwise? She is interesting. I'm still not certain the black tailed white isn't carrying chocolate. Has he produced chocolate with any other non-chocolate hens? ........Lol. My squirrel just jumped on top of my head while I was typing.....I lost track of my thoughts...

Blue Pearl is probably Dun, not sex linked Chocolate. That would explain the chocolate color of her offspring. It would also explain why she herself doesn't look chocolate, Dun can vary in shade.
From what I understand, there has not been a single confirmed dun in Serama's. It would be nice if she was dun but looking like dun doesn't make dun. The only true test would be breeding her to a black rooster that does not carry chocolate. I had some Serama's that looked chocolate but were not, breeding them confirmed they were not.
I also have a pullet that looks dun, but she is not. When she's old enough she will be bred to my solid black cockerel to see if I can pull out some colors that will tell me the pullets true color genes.

Here is that pullet

This is the above, dun looking pullet as a hatchling. I don't have any blues.

The pullet on the far right above is a true chocolate. She's looking like she might have a little red leakage now but very nice dark chocolate coloring.

Here is a sister to that pullet, another chocolate. Her name is Zsa Zsa.

Aren't these colors just the best ? I love these dilutes.
yes...
cool.png

I am so glad to find this forum thru ChooksChick!
I have been trying to find a chocolate leghorn but have never came across anyone who had one. Does anyone here have any ideas? Thanks!

I am so glad to find this forum thru ChooksChick!
I have been trying to find a chocolate leghorn but have never came across anyone who had one. Does anyone here have any ideas? Thanks!

Are you wanting a Recessive/Sex linked chocolate or a Dun based chocolate? In either case, I'm not aware that anyone has made any Leghorns in chocolate yet..... or are you talking about the mahogany brown Leghorns?

Last edited:
Just hatched my first brown chick. Since I don't know about the history of my serama roos, each one of them could be carrying a chocolate gene and I wouldn't know it. Anyway, here's the new babe.

Back
Top Bottom