Chocolate colored chickens

Would this girl be considered a gold-necked ("birchen"?) dun or chocolate? See my black frizzle and chocolate orp pair below for reference of color. I think my mystery bird looks like milk chocolate and my chocolate orps more like dark chocolate. I'm just not seeing dun in the first one.

This is blue
He was supposed to be a blue bantam cochin roo
But it looks now that he's getting some choclate looking coloring on his hackle and saddle feathers

I bred him with a white oebg
And
Hatched two chicks
One blue and one dark brown
I wonder if it will be choclate

She's sleeping now do i couldnt get a good pic

It looks to me like the rooster has rustiness in the neck hackles, not chocolate. That's from red in the hackles. If the rooster had a chocolate gene, it would not be only in the hackles, it would be any location that would have been black. As blue as the rest of the body is, that says to me that he is blue. The neck hackles color is just other genes coloring it up.

The hen being white and OEGB, that does give a possibility that she was hiding dun. Any idea what color her parents are??

Crossing the white (IF she was dun something under the white) to a blue, chicks could be blue, dun (single dose of dun makes them dark chocolate color), black plus any patterns or other modifiers. You'll know more when it feathers out. Chick down can be very decieving. Dark chocolate "Looking" chick down can be a whole lot of other colors too which is different than being genetically chocolate. Be sure to post more photo's later. The lighting in the last photo is pretty bad so it's hard to call that one. Take it our in the daylight, not direct sun, and get another picture. Looks a little too red to me to be dun.

Middle photo is definitely a blue chick.

Last edited:
This is what my dun chicks down looked like. Dun seems to be a "cooler" tone compared to the warmer tones I have hatched from my recessive/sex linked chocolates.
This photo was taken in natural lighting, standing inside with the front door open so there was plenty of light with no sunshine right on the chick

This is what my recessive chocolate chicks are like when hatched. Your's are not recessive chocolates, the OEGB does not have that color, they only have dun for the chocolate.

It's true, there can be "some" variation but I've been raising them a few years now and they have been very consistently these colors.

Last edited:
Would this girl be considered a gold-necked ("birchen"?) dun or chocolate? See my black frizzle and chocolate orp pair below for reference of color. I think my mystery bird looks like milk chocolate and my chocolate orps more like dark chocolate. I'm just not seeing dun in the first one.

No possibility of Dun in those crosses because none of the breeds used have the dun gene. Orps have the recessive/sex linked chocolate gene. Chocolate can be paler or darker based on other genes affecting it and she looks like chocolate gold birchen to me.

Gotcha

I dont know the oegb's parents
She was pure white as a chick and feathered out white
She Is definitely a oegb though I thought that kind of oegb chicks were yellow

The lamp is causing the chick to look red
When its not
Its actually a dark brown chick (no red tinge) with a brown beak and legs

Ill be sure to send better pics soon

@ smoothmule

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom