Chocolate colored chickens

the beginnings of chocolate mottled bantam cochins.. 3rd generation cochin. The black one is an obvious by product of the chocolate project... but, where did the blue come from??? It's definitely part orpington so didn't come from my blue mo. cochin pen. I think the mother must be carrying blue and that her father could possibly be a blue mottled... haven't seen any mauves though.

Pretty sure they cannot carry blue. Blue has to come from blue or splash

if Choc was use instead of Dun then yes, seems like Mauve has more of a chocolate tone, Platinum blue look more bluish.. but that may be because of the best Platinum blues I have seen are based on Silver instead of gold

Since I have only had chocolate seramas to compare to, anyone have a picture comparing muave to platinum? Our platinum sumatra (khaki male on blue hen) looks more dun than blue but she has lacing, the lacing is chocolate colored. Our sumatras are all gold based so I'm just curious to see the comparisson.

Since I have only had chocolate seramas to compare to, anyone have a picture comparing muave to platinum? Our platinum sumatra (khaki male on blue hen) looks more dun than blue but she has lacing, the lacing is chocolate colored. Our sumatras are all gold based so I'm just curious to see the comparisson.
I hatched a lot of Mauve Araucana chicks a couple of years ago but didn't like the color at all so I sold all of them and the blues to avoid them crossing again. Mauve is Sex linked/Recessive Chocolate with blue.
Platinum is actually Dun to Blue, a totally different color that can be nearly white

The Mauves looked washed out/ faded out chocolates, not very pretty, with dirty blue lacing

Last edited:

just picked him up at a local swap meet ..What can I breed him to ..to keep this color...asked the person I got him from how he got this color and he said that all the cochins run together...asked the person as well what color to keep this color he said white, but am thinking black am I right?

my chocolate grey rooster

The cock does not appear to be chocolate. Recessive chocolate will always cover all black so the black in the tail proves that. Same for dun chocolate, there should not be a single black feather on a chocolate, ever. Either parent have any blue? Blue can look dun like that breast color does and the lacing I see there.

Hatched out a nice looking platinum boy. I'll have to take a picture of him tomorrow.
Awesome, by platinum, you mean blue plus dun? My son is borrowing my dun Sumatra's but he has blue and black too. One chick looks white but we're figuring it must be khaki. Can't wait to see it grown up.

Hatching some recessive chocolate Serama's now, 2 hatched so far. A third may be chocolate but it's a patterned striped chick so I won't know for sure till later.

Back
Top Bottom