Chocolate silkie

Linda1218

Songster
Oct 7, 2019
Hi everyone . Wondering if anyone could chime in to my question. I have a chocolate split roo that’s breed over a blue partridge . The chicks came out chocolate colored. Are they sex link or not ?

Attachments

• IMG_9850.jpeg
    IMG_9850.jpeg
    667.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_9851.jpeg
    IMG_9851.jpeg
    624.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9830.jpeg
    IMG_9830.jpeg
    965.9 KB · Views: 3
My understanding is that yes, the only way to produce a chocolate is if it is a pullet.

What do you mean by chocolate split?
A black rooster that carries the chocolate gene? If so then yes. If bred to a non chocolate hen he would only be a to produce chocolate pullets no chocolate cockerels.
But he could also produce non chocolate pullets so any chocolates would be females but not every non chocolate would be males.

Someone keeps trying to convince me that chocolate silkies are dun based not sex linked chocolate. That's why I asked about your rooster. If he isn't black but chocolate then everything is up in the air.

What do you mean by chocolate split?
A black rooster that carries the chocolate gene? If so then yes. If bred to a non chocolate hen he would only be a to produce chocolate pullets no chocolate cockerels.
But he could also produce non chocolate pullets so any chocolates would be females but not every non chocolate would be males.

Someone keeps trying to convince me that chocolate silkies are dun based not sex linked chocolate. That's why I asked about your rooster. If he isn't black but chocolate then everything is up in the air.
Oh sorry I forgot to add the cockerel is a black roo with chocolate gen . And the hen is also black looking with silver leakage and someone told me it’s a blue partridge.

Oh sorry I forgot to add the cockerel is a black roo with chocolate gen . And the hen is also black looking with silver leakage and someone told me it’s a blue partridge.
Black with silver leakage doesn't sound quite like a partridge.
Then ya it sounds like your rooster is split to chocolate (the sex linked chocolate)

Back
Top Bottom