Clarksville, TN .... Help!! :(

Good luck with this!

Luckily I live i a place that allows chickens. We can have 6 hens here in woodland CA. No permits, no roosters and the coop must be 40 feed from the neighbors house.

There is a thread here with information about chicken laws. I would go here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ect-find-submit-local-chicken-laws-ordinances

Post a reply and ask for help. There are lots of people that help with this. Another person to check into is Andy the Chicken Whisperer. He may even go to the city council meeting for you, or find someone to go for you.

Strangely, a lot of Rural cities have laws against chickens because they mistakenly think chicken keeping is low class. Conversely, San Francisco, New York and other big cities are allowing chicken keeping as part of the "green Movement".

Go figure. Some perceived as Hicks trying to be classy and those perceived as classy trying to be hicks
lau.gif

Ron
He came to Nashville to help pass the new law here.

HI I also live in clarksville tn. We have four chickens. we have had no problems keeping them they dont smell bad if you use food grade DE in their coop. We dont own a rooster because we dont want anyone complaining about crowing but over all they are not noisy and no one has complained. Write back if you have any other questions, we have had them for a year and they are great fun!

Hi, I also live in Clarksville TN (in the city) and have 4 hens and a rooster. The roo wasnt supposed to be a roo when I got him at Rural king, but I didnt figure it out until it was too late. Thats him in my profile/avatar pic. He's a bantam cochin and is noisy as all get out. He's also meaner than sin. He crows several times a night, a few times through the day, and whenever a car pulls in the driveway. Sometimes when its quiet outside I can walk to a gas station about 2 blocks away and I can hear him crow. I spoke to my immediate neighbors when they were all chicks and they didnt mind the idea. Now that one ended up being a roo I still havent gotten any complaints. I live in a really drug/crime ridden neighborhood, and I mean it's BAD with gunshots nightly and full on police squad raids and arrests at least once every 2 weeks if not more. No one here cares enough to complain. Either that or they dont want any retaliatory police calls on themselves lol

Here is a link to a PDF of the City of Clarksville's new Chicken Ordinance. Except for the $50 one time fee, it doesn't seem too bad. It only requires the enclosure and coop to be 10 feet or more away from property lines. It also allows up to 400 square feet of enclosure.

City Of Clarksville Chicken Ordinance - Effective September 11, 2012
http://www.cityofclarksville.com/modules/showdocument.aspx?documentid=821

Last edited:
Hi, I also live in Clarksville TN (in the city) and have 4 hens and a rooster. The roo wasnt supposed to be a roo when I got him at Rural king, but I didnt figure it out until it was too late. Thats him in my profile/avatar pic. He's a bantam cochin and is noisy as all get out. He's also meaner than sin. He crows several times a night, a few times through the day, and whenever a car pulls in the driveway. Sometimes when its quiet outside I can walk to a gas station about 2 blocks away and I can hear him crow. I spoke to my immediate neighbors when they were all chicks and they didnt mind the idea. Now that one ended up being a roo I still havent gotten any complaints. I live in a really drug/crime ridden neighborhood, and I mean it's BAD with gunshots nightly and full on police squad raids and arrests at least once every 2 weeks if not more. No one here cares enough to complain. Either that or they dont want any retaliatory police calls on themselves lol
Its so awsome to know that there are others in the (city part) of Clarksville with chickens! My neighbors have never complained and all the neighborhood kids love them!

I'm late to the party!

We're in Clarksville and we've been seriously thinking about chicken-keeping. Are there meet-ups? Some place to get info? We want to do this right and I feel overwhelmed by the information!

Did everyone that currently have chickens get a permit through the city? Just curious, because we also want to get chickens at our place.

I know this thread is old, but I am in the process of trying to get City Council to amend the ordinance to allow hens in R-2 as well as the already accepted E-1, R-1, and R-1a. I'm zoned R-2 but have a whole acre. If anyone is willing to help who knows about how to get things chanced or helped get the original ordinance passed, I'd love any and all help!

Back
Top Bottom