Cluck if you are from the San Francisco Bay Area

Can you really raise chickens in the city limits of SF????
ep.gif
thumbsup.gif

Quote:

WOW, DBF SHOULD BE VEEERRRRRRYYYYYYYY PROUD of his fantastic carpentry!! That's an impressive coop. I especially liked all the extra helps for the banty.
big_smile.png

Quote:

Quote:
That's where we got our hens too. We'll be back up there in the spring to get a few more. Of the few bay area chicken sources I have dealt with she is by far the best.

Question for SF chicken raisers: have you had problems with hawks? I live near the Presidio and I'm nervous about letting my girls free range in my yard. But they love being out, and I love watching them run around, so I've been letting them out a couple hours a day.

And yes, mtmimi, chickens are legal in SF -- with a limit of 4 (of any kind of animal!).

Absolutely amazing!! I used to live on the peninsula and in the E. Bay, and had no idea! And now, I live near a small town, the oldest, in MT, and the residents AREN'T ALLOWED TO HAVE ANY CHICKENS in the town limits!! Go figure.
Quote:

We have few hawks around right now. We were speculating on the Yahoo group for silicon valley chickens that the fledglings are learning to hunt about now, and chickens are easy prey.

In our area a LARGE flock of crows has moved in, and they chase off single birds of prey, so I am not too worried.

Last year tho, I lost some button quail to a Peregrine last year, as a cat knocked open the cage door, allowing the quail out. Out of nowhere came this falcon, got a quail. It then proceeded to hang out on top of the open cage and wait for the quail to venture out- smart bugger!

But haven't seen it since the crows came either.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom