Cluckawalla Valley has moved! TAKE THE QUIZ, PG 23!

Chicks? Where'd you get chicks Cheryl!

Mary -
clap.gif
You'll be a country girl in no time!

Ok, it was a big day. We had sod installed in the chicken yard this morning followed by our first forest fire.

Here is the yard last night after receiving 8 yards of topsoil.

34566_newchicks_1_of_1-19.jpg

Here it is when the guys completed laying the sod today.

34566_newchicks_1_of_1-8.jpg

Then Michael looked over and saw this, smoke coming from the ridge behind our property.

34566_newchicks_1_of_1-9.jpg

Within a few minutes it looked like this. This is our pond, barn and donkeys!

34566_newchicks_1_of_1-10.jpg

Then this:

34566_newchicks_1_of_1-12.jpg

We had all kids of aerial fire fighting.

34566_newchicks_1_of_1-11.jpg

View from our barn.

34566_newchicks_1_of_1-14.jpg

This is the plane that was dropping the fire retardant.

34566_newchicks_1_of_1-15.jpg

The chickens were oblivious, waiting by the gate for treats.

34566_newchicks_1_of_1-16.jpg

One last drop of fire retardant.

34566_newchicks_1_of_1-17.jpg

The chickens get some scratch scattered on what is now known as Fig Tree Hill.

34566_newchicks_1_of_1-18.jpg

Ay five p.m. all is right with the world. There are still a few areas smoldering on the ridge but the fire seems to be under control. I will sleep with one eye open though. And the chickens are enjoying the grass.

Disclaimer: Any correlation, including video surveillance footage of me buying a 24 pack of Firestarter Sticks at Safeway this morning, and my experimentation with the wood stove yesterday and this forest fire are merely coincidental.

Oh, Mary that sod is so pretty... how long do you think it will last with those chickens? Do you have sprinklers for it?

Quote:
It all has automatic sprinklers. I hope it will last. We had sod in the last place and it was fine. The "run" is about 2,000 sq ft so they have room to spread out. If it doesn't last, oh well!

What a relief the fire was short lived.

Why in the world would you pay to have sod layed in your chicken run? Seems like a very pricey short-lived treat full of chemicals.

I would worry about the sod being heavily fertilized and would think that once the grass is gone, the birds are going to scratch up the plastic netting they use to hold the sod together.

I have been looking at all the pictures of your home. I WISH I had your flare for landscaping! You guys have your selves a great place there in N. Cali. what an awesome find!
cool.png
cool.png

Last edited:
~*Sweet Cheeks*~ :

What a relief the fire was short lived.

Why in the world would you pay to have sod layed in your chicken run? Seems like a very pricey short-lived treat full of chemicals.

I would worry about the sod being heavily fertilized and would think that once the grass is gone, the birds are going to scratch up the plastic netting they use to hold the sod together.

Because my property is located on the site of an abandoned nuclear reactor and I thought the sod would provide a barrier between the uranium and the chickens. And the plastic mesh will melt from the exposure to the plutonium in the ground water. No worries!
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom