Coccidiosis??

I am not sure what you would do with the ammonia, but wazine is useless in my opinion.
I think some references recommend ammonia for cleaning in the event of coccidiosis, so that may be what the poster was meaning. I think it would be better because of the strong smell of ammonia, just to keep the bedding clean and dry, and raise waterers to shoulder height to prevent droppings getting into the water.

Is this the one you think is a worm egg? These two chicks have never been outside with the goats, and are still on medicated starter/grower feed, so both worms and coccidiosis seem unlikely, but the bloody poop still concerns me. I'm going to do another fecal float tomorrow when I have more time.

Honestly,I would be considering the Corid for 5-7 days, then after a couple of day's break with some probiotic yogurt and vitamins, using Fenbendazole for 5 days at 1/2 ml per pound given orally for each chicken. It would be good to know if it is cocci or cecal worms, and document it, but this has been going on awhile, and meanwhile there might be some intestinal damage happening. Necrotizing enteritis is the 3 rd possibility, common after cocci infections, and that is treated with antibiotics. It depends on what bacteria shows up on a gram stain, which one is used.

Last edited:
I have Corid on order because my nearest Tractor Supply Company was out, and the next is many hours away. It should be here Monday. They've been on yogurt and vitamins for an entire month, long before I saw the blood, actually. Just as part of trying to diagnose the initial paralysis. I really appreciate your advice, though. Keep the suggestions coming!
1f60a.png

Quote:
The black oval is the right shape for cecal worm egg but being out of focus you can't see the detail in the egg. If the chick has been on yogurt for a month don't rule out a yeast infection. Too much of a good thing isn't.

Back
Top Bottom