Cochin breeding, genetics, and showing

Pics
Well, it has been three weeks and our little Christmas cochin is looking good.
love.gif
His beak is looking good, it hasn't gotten any worse.
ya.gif
This is contradictory to my research on cross beaks, they usually get worse very quickly. Half the time it looks normal, and the other half it is just a hair out of place. So I have begun to think he doesn't really have a crossed beak.... I don't know what to call it.
idunno.gif
Here are a couple of current pictures, one the jaw is in place, the next a hair off. I just think that is so weird, maybe he hurt it or something... The last shot is just to show off his foot feathering, I think its looking nice!

We have also moved his three brothers and six sisters from the hatch that followed his into the coop and they are all looking good. I am really pleased with how a couple of the pullets are looking, I can't wait to see how they grow up. I know its not a great shot, but they kept moving to fast and were out of focus for most of the pics. So, if the Christmas chick doesn't have cross beak, I think I over reacted to the defects. I also have a three week old Ameraucana chick which has developed a beak issue, the bottom beak doesn't seem to be growing, and the top beak is over growing it like a parrots beak. I am so sure about my stock and bloodlines in that breed, that I am beginning to entertain the idea of my incubator being a source of my troubles after all. So I have ordered a Hovabator Genesis, I will try hatching again after it comes and see how things go.

All items for buy sell trade or give away must be posted in the BST area of the forum, please.

edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there! I am wondering ewhere I could get some friendly advice on breeding my cochins. I have been on a cochin thread before, but my computer broke down and I havent been on for a couple of months. I posted on another cochin thread and didnt get any responses. Is this the thread for questions?

You all have very pretty birds.
love.gif
love.gif
The chocolate cochin is gourgeous!!!! I have never seen anything like that before. And his eyes are so pretty and dark.

Nice chair too. :)

Last edited:
More than likely you were on the right thread before, this one is for more advanced breeders and exhibitors. I'm not sure what your question was, but my suggestion is that you hang in there and maybe try asking again a little later. Sometimes folks get kind of wrapped up in a subject and miss something or someone.

Hi there! I am wondering ewhere I could get some friendly advice on breeding my cochins. I have been on a cochin thread before, but my computer broke down and I havent been on for a couple of months. I posted on another cochin thread and didnt get any responses. Is this the thread for questions?

You all have very pretty birds.
love.gif
love.gif
The chocolate cochin is gourgeous!!!! I have never seen anything like that before. And his eyes are so pretty and dark.

Nice chair too. :)

Thanks lilcrow. I an just going to try and read the threads from start to finish. And actually I think I have already made my choice as to what cockerel I will be using right now for breeding. Pictures are fairy dificult to show the true bird. (at least in my case~ the 2 pictures I have from each cockerel they look like two different birds just because of the way they stand.) I need to stay on these cochin threads more often as long as my computer will let me. :) Yesterday and the day before my computer was acting up again. It is am exciting time of year with the chicks hatching. I had 50 plus black cochin eggs and they were not fertilized. Darn! I trimmed their bumms and am going to do AI on top of it. wish me luck. :) I guess they won't be grown out for the summer fairs. Awe well I waited this long I can wait a few more months. I did get a few blue cochins to hatch though.

Back
Top Bottom