Cochin breeding, genetics, and showing

Pics
I hope to have some soon. I am breeding him to good black hens to try to improve some more.

Danny, OMG he is "GORGEOUS ~!
ep.gif
I'll take a pair just like him
droolin.gif
love.gif

Gail, I LOVE the new C.I. site. Great job and I can see how much work went into it, so thank you for all your hard work.

Funny--I recognize several of the cochins on the site are from BYC members! We have some excellent breeders on this site, don't we?

I would really like to know who has lemon blue cochins and where i could find the color patterns for them because the apa or the aba hasn't recognized them yet.!!!

Chickenman

As I work on my Lemon Blue breeding program, I've worked a few things out. First, there are some "pseudo" LB that have been around that are Buff x Blue crosses. Genetically these lack the breast lacing of ER (birchen) based true LB. Additionally the lemon parts are often too orange colored. As LB are often bred from blue/splash x Brown Red (Gold Birchen), using a sex linked gold blue/splash is important to minimize cull Silver Blue chicks. While Silver Blues are attractive, they aren't a standard color, but may be useful if the males carry the gold gene (Silver/gold gene is sex linked so the Silver Blue females can not be carriers of gold.).

I believe the pairing that will produce the most Lemon Blues would be. Splash Lemon Blue x Brown Red which produces (if pure) the most Lemon Blue offspring due to the genetics. The trick is to get/produce the correct genetic breeders.

Dave

I would really like to know who has lemon blue cochins and where i could find the color patterns for them because the apa or the aba hasn't recognized them yet.!!!

I have lemon blues and brown reds.

This is a chick out of the pen with my brown red rooster in my avatar pic. I have a lemon blue hen in with him. The light color splash chicks behind it are from the lemon blue pen. Pic is kinda blurry.

Back
Top Bottom