Cochin breeding, genetics, and showing

Pics
I would love to see some discussions of the various body parts as described in the SOP. Sometimes its hard for a lot of us to interpret correctly what is written. Starting with the head, and working our way through to the tail. What to look for . . . What to cull for . . .What is a crow head . . . What is a split breast . . . What are weak wings . . . What is a pinched tail. I know the text of the SOP is copyrighted, but I think it can be generalized and discussed with no problems; and as long as everyone realizes the discussion is a supplement to the SOP books, and not a replacement for them.

We have yet on any of the Cochin threads to have a good "classroom" teaching session on the complete bird. We have excellent bits & pieces, but it's hard to get a complete picture sometimes when we all go off on tangents. Even if we focused on one (or two) body part(s) a day, it would be a great learning tool - for me, at least!! And where the Standard is different for LF and Bantams, we should be sure to cover both descriptions, and the differences between the two.

Would that type of discussion help anyone? Nancy, what do you think . . . I don't mean to hijack your thread.
Oh Gail, you most certainly didn't hijack the thread, I think your idea is great and would serve the dual purpose of keeping it going. You know how much difficulty there has been keeping it going. I've been at fault myself by not coming up with ideas like yours and or bring more of my questions about the specific varieties to the forum. Would you feel comfortable kind of starting out with your suggestion and I'll do my best to contribute also, then we'll see what can be generated.

Quote: Nancy, As you know, I'm certainly no expert - still learning like everyone else. But what I am pretty good at is organization, setting an agenda, and (trying) to keep to point.

Here's my idea in slightly more depth, and then I'll get things started in my next post. Hopefully, we can get some serious followers from the other Cochin threads to join in.

Every one to three days, depending on the discussions, we focus on a particular body part as outlined in the Standards. For those that don't have a Standard for LF or Bantams, they can be found on the Cochins International website (on the Breed Standards menu). (The CI website also has excellent articles on the Education menu.) All posts should be question and answer and stay on topic; pictures are absolutely encouraged. Everyone should try and take closeup pictures of whatever we are discussing at that time.

Every one should feel free to ask questions related to interpretation of the Standards; Everyone should feel free to offer their opinions. Every one is invited to post pictures for critique or as an example. No one should post pics of their birds if they do not want their bird critiqued.

Hopefully, we can get some experts to join in when we stumble. Hopefully we will all have fun, help each other, and learn something in the meantime.

Our first discussion (for the next day or two) will be about everything "HEAD" related. In the Standard, this includes COMB, BEAK, FACE, EYES, WATTLES, EAR LOBES, and HEAD. So if everyone will read those sections in the Standard, it is now open for discussion.

Again, here's the link to the Cochins International website, where you can go to "Breed Standards": www.CochinsInt.com

This is a wonderful idea, and as someone who is just starting out I am very interested in a discussion like this! I know I have so much to learn
smile.png

I just found this thread and am super glad!
yippiechickie.gif
Lots of great information on here! I've got a black mottled bantam cochin rooster named Tux who I'm planning on showing in the fair this year. If I take several good pictures of him tomorrow, can you cochin experts help me figure out where he stands as far as quality goes? At this point I think he looks alright but I really don't know what to expect.

I just found this thread and am super glad!
yippiechickie.gif
Lots of great information on here! I've got a black mottled bantam cochin rooster named Tux who I'm planning on showing in the fair this year. If I take several good pictures of him tomorrow, can you cochin experts help me figure out where he stands as far as quality goes? At this point I think he looks alright but I really don't know what to expect.

Pictures are great! We're working on the head for the next couple of days, so take some good close-ups from the side, front, and straight down from above if possible. Be sure to tell us the birds age and bantam or LF on all pics.

Back
Top Bottom