Cochin breeding, genetics, and showing

Pics
so if i was to breed this rooster,

with a solid blue or black hen would i get chicks with his marking out of the first generation?

Perhaps. Breeding to a Blue hen you could have Black, Blue, and Splash chicks - any of which could show the same red leakage in their hackle and shoulder feathers. Breeding to a Black hen would result in Black and Blue chicks who also could show red leakage. But then again, none of them may show any red. Sometimes it's a bit of a gamble when you are dealing with unknown genes.

so if i was to breed this rooster, with a solid blue or black hen would i get chicks with his marking out of the first generation?
It's somewhat likely. You'll get either 50% Blue, 50% Black offspring from breeding him with a black hen, or 25% Black, 50% Blue, and 25% Splash from breeding him with a Blue hen, and all have decent potential for red leakage. The most likely cause of his red is autosomal red - a very hard gene to get rid of. Bad news if you're breeding SOP, but good if you just like the color! You might also consider breeding him to a Red hen. You'd most likely get Black and Blue chicks with lots of red leakage - more than he has, probably. Of course finding a standard sized Red Cochin is a project unto itself - only one place I know of having them (Ideal Hatchery, I believe) and I've only seen the chicks so I can't say for sure how "red" the adults are. Of course you could always breed over a Bantam Red if you're OK with getting offspring only a bit larger than a bantam (chicks often take after their mother's size in bantam X standard breedings)

Last edited:
It's somewhat likely. You'll get either 50% Blue, 50% Black offspring from breeding him with a black hen, or 25% Black, 50% Blue, and 25% Splash from breeding him with a Blue hen, and all have decent potential for red leakage. The most likely cause of his red is autosomal red - a very hard gene to get rid of. Bad news if you're breeding SOP, but good if you just like the color!

You might also consider breeding him to a Red hen. You'd most likely get Black and Blue chicks with lots of red leakage - more than he has, probably. Of course finding a standard sized Red Cochin is a project unto itself - only one place I know of having them (Ideal Hatchery, I believe) and I've only seen the chicks so I can't say for sure how "red" the adults are. Of course you could always breed over a Bantam Red if you're OK with getting offspring only a bit larger than a bantam (chicks often take after their mother's size in bantam X standard breedings)
so is autosmal red a genetic anomaly that sometimes appears in pure breeding. could my cochin be a pure Blue who got the red leakage?

so is autosmal red a genetic anomaly that sometimes appears in pure breeding.  could my cochin be a pure Blue who got the red leakage?

Yes, autosomal red is a tricky gene. Sometimes it won't show itself for generations and then suddenly crop up in a big hatch, other times it might make itself obvious for many generations and be a pain to be rid of. He is most likely purebred, but autosomal red is common in black, blue, and buff hatchery fowl due to lax breeding practices. It will return to stock quite easily if it is not culled against.

Yes, autosomal red is a tricky gene. Sometimes it won't show itself for generations and then suddenly crop up in a big hatch, other times it might make itself obvious for many generations and be a pain to be rid of. He is most likely purebred, but autosomal red is common in black, blue, and buff hatchery fowl due to lax breeding practices. It will return to stock quite easily if it is not culled against.
that's fine with me i love my rooster and do not intend on showing him.

Got a genectics question Got some barred cochins and want to improve their type Can I breed them back to my blacks to improve type and then breed the splits back togethe in the hopes of getting better type ? Or what would the results be ?

Got a genectics question Got some barred cochins and want to improve their type Can I breed them back to my blacks to improve type and then breed the splits back togethe in the hopes of getting better type ? Or what would the results be ?

I feel like that would just make the barring worse. Just my opinion though

I am new to the barred cochins and just thought that this type of breeding would improve type Never thought it would make it worse or even ugly
lau.gif
Guess I will have to use the really nice ones to get what I want Thank you for your help

Back
Top Bottom