Cochin Thread!!!

New addition to our flock zena our first Cochin.

I had our local feedery order these Partridge Cochin Chicks (2 Hens and 1 Roo)
from Murray McMurray for me. The owner received this "Rare Exotic" free and
wasn't sure he could sell it to his regular clientele, so he gave it to me for free. I
am fairly certain Bei is a Cochin (same head shape, feathered legs & feet). The
Partridge Cochins are 1 week today, and I assume Bei is 2-3 days older.

After going through TONS of Cochin Chicks pictures, I have narrowed the possibility
of coloring down to Splash or Blue (I originally thought white, but it has turned much
more grey in the past couple of days and it's wing feathers are coming in almost
white with a dark lacing on some).

I've seen a lot of people owning both Splash and Blues, so I was wondering if any of
remember when yous were itty bitty and possibly any guesses as to what color I
could expect. I'm truly hoping for a Hen, as a Rooster will most likely end up on the
dinner table. And it just looks too beautiful to roast.

Also, I ordered Standards, but they seem to be maintaining a very small size in the
week I've had them. When do they start really growing? I'm used to raising Ducks that
in the first week double and then some in size. These guys seem to be slow growing.
Is it possible I got Bantams, or am I just paranoid for no reason? :) Thanks Ya'll!!

I do! I saw her at the livestock fair/sale we were at and just zeroed in on her. So pretty! I only wish I had bought another! Maybe at the next fair in the Fall!

Hopefully you get to find another gal! I have 3 splash pullets about 2 1/2-3 month old pullets and one 5 month old splash pullet, hopefully in about 1-2 more months I'll start getting some eggs!

Hopefully you get to find another gal! I have 3 splash pullets about 2 1/2-3 month old pullets and one 5 month old splash pullet, hopefully in about 1-2 more months I'll start getting some eggs!

That's exciting!! We aren't getting any eggs (well we got 2 in 2 days from 6 layers),but pretty sure all the girls are traumatized from the move to their new home. Hoping to start getting more eggs soon! Then comes the fun of trying to figure out who in the world laid what!
1f914.png
6 chickens, 5 different breeds.

That's exciting!! We aren't getting any eggs (well we got 2 in 2 days from 6 layers),but pretty sure all the girls are traumatized from the move to their new home. Hoping to start getting more eggs soon! Then comes the fun of trying to figure out who in the world laid what!
1f914.png
6 chickens, 5 different breeds.

Lol I love to guess who laid what! I have separate pens of purebreds(5different pens), but then there's the mixed flock(1 big pen)! I never really figure out who laid what, I only have 2 hens that lay white eggs, but the rest are brown egg layers!! Lol we all love to quess who laid what :gig

Last edited:

I had our local feedery order these Partridge Cochin Chicks (2 Hens and 1 Roo)
from Murray McMurray for me. The owner received this "Rare Exotic" free and
wasn't sure he could sell it to his regular clientele, so he gave it to me for free. I
am fairly certain Bei is a Cochin (same head shape, feathered legs & feet). The
Partridge Cochins are 1 week today, and I assume Bei is 2-3 days older.

After going through TONS of Cochin Chicks pictures, I have narrowed the possibility
of coloring down to Splash or Blue (I originally thought white, but it has turned much
more grey in the past couple of days and it's wing feathers are coming in almost
white with a dark lacing on some).

I've seen a lot of people owning both Splash and Blues, so I was wondering if any of
remember when yous were itty bitty and possibly any guesses as to what color I
could expect. I'm truly hoping for a Hen, as a Rooster will most likely end up on the
dinner table. And it just looks too beautiful to roast.

Also, I ordered Standards, but they seem to be maintaining a very small size in the
week I've had them. When do they start really growing? I'm used to raising Ducks that
in the first week double and then some in size. These guys seem to be slow growing.
Is it possible I got Bantams, or am I just paranoid for no reason? :) Thanks Ya'll!!
look at the feathers on the wings. if the "flight Feathers are longer than the back feathers it is supposed to be a hen. Roos have even feather all the wa down. if it is a rooster you could sell it. people will buy cochins.

Back
Top Bottom