Cochin Thread!!!

Can anyone help me determine the sex of these cochins? They were given to my daughter backat the end og August they were around 2 weeks old now they are around 8 months. Still not laying but 1 seems to show rooster like tendencies.

Best guess on variety?

1 is whites with a lot of blue gray color and the other one is heavily covered in a grey color with a little bit of yellow on the head. I'm not concerned about the variety of the brownish ones in the photo.

I had our local feedery order these Partridge Cochin Chicks (2 Hens and 1 Roo)
from Murray McMurray for me. The owner received this "Rare Exotic" free and
wasn't sure he could sell it to his regular clientele, so he gave it to me for free. I
am fairly certain Bei is a Cochin (same head shape, feathered legs & feet). The
Partridge Cochins are 1 week today, and I assume Bei is 2-3 days older.

After going through TONS of Cochin Chicks pictures, I have narrowed the possibility
of coloring down to Splash or Blue (I originally thought white, but it has turned much
more grey in the past couple of days and it's wing feathers are coming in almost
white with a dark lacing on some).

I've seen a lot of people owning both Splash and Blues, so I was wondering if any of
remember when yous were itty bitty and possibly any guesses as to what color I
could expect. I'm truly hoping for a Hen, as a Rooster will most likely end up on the
dinner table. And it just looks too beautiful to roast.
Bei is either Splash or Self Blue (a.k.a. "Lavender"). He/She is not nearly dark enough to be Blue. Here is an illustration of a trio of BBS Cochin bantam chicks:

Splash on the left, Blue in the center, and a Black chick on the right.

And here is an illustration of some Self Blue Cochin bantam chicks:

You will be able to tell more about its variety as the little critter grows out. Self Blue birds should be an even shade of powder blue, and Splash birds can range from nearly white, to blue-tinged white, to a powder blue, and they should have irregular blotches of darker blue color throughout. The splotchy color begins to come in on our Splash birds when they are about 12 weeks old, and cockerels tend to have more of the dark markings than the pullets.

This is a Splash Frizzle cockerel from a hatch a few years ago. He was about 8 weeks old in this picture, and though he looks a lot like a Self Blue, you can see the dark feather color starting to develop on his shoulders.

Just got two cochins toady from Dunlap! They're so cute!
<Name is Roja, it cut off a bit of the picture
The partridge one has five toes. For showmanship, is that a defect or disqualification?

Thanks for the response! Bei is by far the friendliest. The Partridges are skittish, but nestle right down in the hand and chirp. Bei will hop right in my hand and climb up into the crook of my neck. They have been a pleasure to have; it's just such a difference watching chicks grow. My ducklings seem to double in size every couple days, whereas after almost 2 weeks my lil chicks are still just so tiny and fluffy.

I have some fertilized Cuckoo Maran and Bielefedder Cross hatching eggs a friend game me that I will incubating this evening. I never thought I'd love chicks more than ducklings. lol

Hi! Does anyone have an adult LF Partridge Cochin cock bird they are interested in selling? I'm in FL so he would probably have to be shipped. PM me with any info you may have. Thanks!! :)

look at the feathers on the wings.  if the "flight Feathers are longer than the back feathers it is supposed to be a hen.  Roos have even feather all the wa down.  if it is a rooster you could sell it.  people will buy cochins.

If I understand correctly, this chick is male?

Back
Top Bottom