Cochin Thread!!!

A FB page I'm on was looking for some SQ breed references so I posted one of my pullets.

I'm taking this as a good sign!

I have 1 golden laced cochin pullet (should start laying anyday!)
Yesterday we bought 6, 2 week old silver lace cochin pullets.
My daughyer thinks 2 are males because their wings look different then the others. Is it possible to tell the difference of a male and female at 2 weeks?

My daughyer thinks 2 are males because their wings look different then the others. Is it possible to tell the difference of a male and female at 2 weeks?

Pretty chicks!!
How old is your gold lace?

I usually don't try sexing until 4 weeks. I would rather not second guess myself.

Even 6 weeks old would be better. You can take individual photos of your chicks and post at "what breed or gender is this." it helps a lot if you number the photos or have a name with each so they can tell if its the same bird or another.

it's easier at two days. look at the chicks wings at 48 to 72 hours the roos will have equal length feathers coming in the hens primaries will be longer than the secondaries.

probably i've never had bantam cochins. but i've feather sexed a cochin and a mix and while they never reached adult i know i was right. i don't claim to be an expert but feather sexing causes less pain to the chick than vent sexing and if you know what to look for is definatl accurate. except on silkies. they don't have primaries and secondaries.

Back
Top Bottom