Cochin Thread!!!

Question for those knowledgeable in Cochins - is multiple broody events per year normal? Does it happen every year?

We have 5 cochins in our flock, all 5 went broody this year at some point after Winter...but a few have gone broody multiple times, I just had one released from her time-out last night. None of the other hen breeds went broody, only the cochins. All our hens are just over 1yr old, is this something to expect again from the cochins next year?
Yes cochins are known to be very broody

Question for those knowledgeable in Cochins - is multiple broody events per year normal? Does it happen every year?

We have 5 cochins in our flock, all 5 went broody this year at some point after Winter...but a few have gone broody multiple times, I just had one released from her time-out last night. None of the other hen breeds went broody, only the cochins. All our hens are just over 1yr old, is this something to expect again from the cochins next year?
It could be worse. You could have Cochins and Games! Everybody would go broody!

Let them hatch some babies!

I figured.. out of my hatch. I got one female and she is a d'uccle..
The Rooster Fairy has sure been around!

Do have some sort of plan for cockerels when you hatch eggs?

Alternatives:

---- Rehome them/Give them away
---- Is there a Rooster Rescue farm anywhere near you?
---- Select the best one according to the Cochin Standard of Perfection as a Breeder. You probably should do this.
---- Sell them (difficult)
---- Raise them until first crow and butcher them for meat
---- Caponize them (steep learning curve but you can keep them longer and they would be really big meat birds). They are around the right age for this.

The Rooster Fairy has sure been around!

Do have some sort of plan for cockerels when you hatch eggs?

Alternatives:

---- Rehome them/Give them away
---- Is there a Rooster Rescue farm anywhere near you?
---- Select the best one according to the Cochin Standard of Perfection as a Breeder. You probably should do this.
---- Sell them (difficult)
---- Raise them until first crow and butcher them for meat
---- Caponize them (steep learning curve but you can keep them longer and they would be really big meat birds). They are around the right age for this.
I believe I am going to keep one and re-home the rest locally.

Cochins are known for being broody

Back
Top Bottom