Cochin Thread!!!

Alright, well thanks for the info y'all!

Funny story for us: Broodiness has led us to change some of our cochins' names. We had 4 that are pretty identical, so we called them the 4Sisters....then one mysteriously died and they became the 3Sisters (same day the one passed, a white chicken appeared in our yard - so her name is "Ghostie"). Anyways, now that we've seen how pancake-like in they lay when broody, last month they got renamed "3Pancakes" lol

My nest boxes are constantly full of fluffy crabs. I generally wait until all my nestboxes are full than I block them and break them as a group. I agree each hen goes broody around 3-6 times a year based on if you use them or not.

I like to use mine to hatch other species like pheasants and turkeys, and sometimes some large breed chicks for me. I pull them as they hatch. I usually stick at least one bantam egg under them so they have something at the end to care for.

My nest boxes are constantly full of fluffy crabs. I generally wait until all my nestboxes are full than I block them and break them as a group. I agree each hen goes broody around 3-6 times a year based on if you use them or not.

I like to use mine to hatch other species like pheasants and turkeys, and sometimes some large breed chicks for me. I pull them as they hatch. I usually stick at least one bantam egg under them so they have something at the end to care for.
Fluffy crabs! I am dying :lau

I got the Cochins thinking I would need broodies (well, I also just really liked the coloring) but then my Speckled Sussex surprised me and went broody :lau

Alright, well thanks for the info y'all!

Funny story for us: Broodiness has led us to change some of our cochins' names. We had 4 that are pretty identical, so we called them the 4Sisters....then one mysteriously died and they became the 3Sisters (same day the one passed, a white chicken appeared in our yard - so her name is "Ghostie"). Anyways, now that we've seen how pancake-like in they lay when broody, last month they got renamed "3Pancakes" lol
Love it!

Maroon spots on shoulders suddenly??!!

I thought my cochin/silkie cross was going to be white, black, or grey, but now spots of deep burgundy have appeared by his shoulders. Mom was a white cochin; dad was a black silkie.

What color would you call my little guy here? Thanks!
2020-07-02 09.27.12.jpg 2020-07-02 09.25.51.jpg 2020-07-02 09.25.42.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom