Cochin Thread!!!

another chick hatched another silver lace cochin, and have 2 black cochins just hatched and 1 eggs left to hatch is all :)
hmmmmm....well, well I dont kknow what to think, I have a black Cochin rooster, a black cochin hen, and a silver lace hen, and nothing else in that pen. and here is what I got, thought they were black and silver lace, so I just dont understand!!

#1 chick (thought was a silver lace

chick #2 also thought it was a silver lace

chick #3 Black cochin chick (looks just like the last batched I hatched from the same Black roo & black hen)

chick #4 Black cochin chick (looks just like the last batched I hatched from the same Black roo & black hen)

chick #5 what I thought was another silver lace cochin

them all together, have 1 egg still in incubator hasnt hatched yet.

The Dad "Mistro"

Black cochin hen "Molly"

Silver Lace cochin "Lacie"

Quote: I would say your rooster and at least one of the black hens are both split for self blue (aka lavender). that looks exactly like my lavender chicks I had a couple years ago. the gene is recessive and frequently used with blacks to improve type and feather quality.

broodies were blue partridge (lost one of them), the chicks were, top to bottom, black, self blue, mille fleur and blue mottled.

Last edited:
I would say your rooster and at least one of the black hens are both split for self blue (aka lavender). that looks exactly like my lavender chicks I had a couple years ago. the gene is recessive and frequently used with blacks to improve type and feather quality.

broodies were blue partridge (lost one of them), the chicks were, top to bottom, black, self blue, mille fleur and blue mottled.

I only have one black hen and one silverlace hen with the one black rooster.....so what you said is that a good/bad thing?? lol

Is this chart accurate? :) hopefully it is! :D

Back
Top Bottom