Cochin Thread!!!

Oh boy if I was into LF Cochin's...
I was at a local flea market this morning and found a huge handsome and a good looking well kept red black rooster. He would have been a great addition to anyone wanting to work on lemon blues in standard size. He actually was put together nicely so a good project bird.

I followed this chart

:D hopefully it's accurate! If it is then the partridge is a pullet. At 10 days she def looked like a pullet. :) but I could be wrong lol

There is a way to tell gender of partridges at 1 day old. I use it to sex all of my chicks as they hatch. I don't bother with wing feathers personally. But I am a partridge breeder so I see a lot of them. The key is to look at the eye stripe. On females it is thick and defined. On males it is much less clear. I will post some pictures when I am back at my computer maybe.

Last edited:
There is a way to tell gender of partridges at 1 day old. I use it to sex all of my chicks as they hatch. I don't bother with wing feathers personally. But I am a partridge breeder so I see a lot of them. The key is to look at the eye stripe. On females it is thick and defined. On males it is much less clear. I will post some pictures when I am back at my computer maybe.

Ok thanks!! I will take another look at her! :)

He was at the armada flea market. I wouldn't be surprised if he will be there next Sunday too.
He was a looker and didn't even think of contacting ya since it was a roo.

Cochin question!
I have read a lot about standard cochins, I know they do not lay a lot of eggs, but the information about egg size varies widely.
I LOVE the way they look and want to add to my flock, they seem like they would be perfect temperament wise.
What size eggs do you get from your standard cochins?

Do you know if this would be true of any chick that is partridge colored/marked? I have been getting some partridge marked chicks but I don't have any partridge marked adults.

Back
Top Bottom