Cochin Thread!!!

Nice! Your boy looks alot like mine. He makes some beautiful babies. :D

Yours is a bantam correct is he a self blue ?

Yours is a bantam correct is he a self blue ?

Yes bantam, BBS blue, not lave der/self-blue. He's a little off, because he throws beards/muffs! But I put him with some of his bearded daughters and have gotten some adorable chicks!

One of his daughters:

and a chick I just hatched last week. How adorable are those cheeks! Lol

Yes bantam, BBS blue, not lave der/self-blue. He's a little off, because he throws beards/muffs! But I put him with some of his bearded daughters and have gotten some adorable chicks!

One of his daughters:

and a chick I just hatched last week. How adorable are those cheeks! Lol

aww so cute! I wish i could have fun with mine!

Artificial Lights don't work that quickly, though I could be wrong. The increase in daylight will stimulate hens to start laying this time of year. Congratulations.

Last edited:
Remember when I asked how old your cochins started laying? Well, after putting in a light (I'm in western New York) I started getting eggs! She just turned 6 months. It took a couple days but worth it! I'm so excited!

I am sure she started laying because of her age rather then the lighting. My birds typically start around 6 months

I have three coops. Two in the barn and our Eye Candy coop down by the house. The two in the barn we have been using supplemental light all winter and my hens have been laying pretty consistently. The Eye Candy coop has a mixture of older and younger hens in it and nobody was laying. After I installed the light I started getting 4-5 eggs a day. We use day light bulbs.

I have three coops. Two in the barn and our Eye Candy coop down by the house. The two in the barn we have been using supplemental light all winter and my hens have been laying pretty consistently. The Eye Candy coop has a mixture of older and younger hens in it and nobody was laying. After I installed the light I started getting 4-5 eggs a day. We use day light bulbs.

Adding artificial lighting won't make a pullet start to lay. She was most likely just at production point.

Back
Top Bottom