Cochin Thread!!!

Hi, what colours are crossed to end up with gold partridge? They are a gorgeous colour.

Partridge is a base colour so isnt really created. The patterning comes from a gene and not a combination of other colours.

Partridge is a bird on an eb background, carrying two copies of the patterning gene. For it to be "correct" the bird needs to have two copies of a gene responsible for the pattern. This gene is called Patterning gene and has a label of Pg if it is present and pg+ if not.

pg+/pg+ shows you the gene is not present.
Pg/pg+ shows you one copy is present
Pg/Pg shows you the bird is "pure" or has two copies.

Silver pencilled carries the same basic make up of partridge, and only differs on one colour gene.

s+(red) = partridge
S(Silver) = silver pencilled.

Partridge are actually quite easy to sex link from hatch, the females tend to have a thicker stripe across the eyes.

Last edited:
Good day my wonderful eggs-perts at the BackYard Chickens forum!

I'm extremely new at this. I recently got myself three chicks, which according to the seller are supposed to be black Giant Cochins, aged around 1 month plus minus.

Well, when they arrived, all three were different sized, and about a week later i'm starting to wonder what colour they actually are? Their feathers are starting to look an ashy grey, and brown tints are starting to appear on the biggest chick.

Also, any guesses as to whether they are a hen or roo?

Thank so much in advance! Much love!

Attachments

• PhotoGrid_1555478512528.jpg
    PhotoGrid_1555478512528.jpg
    831.9 KB · Views: 19

I'm extremely new at this. I recently got myself three chicks, which according to the seller are supposed to be black Giant Cochins, aged around 1 month plus minus.

Well, when they arrived, all three were different sized, and about a week later i'm starting to wonder what colour they actually are? Their feathers are starting to look an ashy grey, and brown tints are starting to appear on the biggest chick.

I’m not guessing genders, but those are some massive leg and feet feathers! Wow! Good looking chicks.
The black coloring will take over as they feather in better.

Wow! What a size difference! I had some regular gals that were same age but one was much larger too.. but I don’t think that much bigger.. :confused:... maybe they are not the same age?

I’m not guessing genders, but those are some massive leg and feet feathers! Wow! Good looking chicks.
The black coloring will take over as they feather in better.
Thank you for the compliments on my little fluffs! And noted on the coloring, guess I have to go back to waiting atiently for more feathers to grow in but the brown tips really got me wondering for a second.

Back
Top Bottom