Cockerel or Pullet???!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree, I would be pretty sure of that one being a cockerel.

If you want, show pictures of the other ones?

He may show other signs soon, like trying to crow.. but most roosters don't try until much older...

I can tell you RIGHT NOW. That chick IS a cockerel.
Yup...After looking at him compared to the other girls, he IS MUCH MUCH more white then they are...Most of the girls are almost completely black, with tiny spurts of white here and there. And after examining them all, I think that I have 2 cockerels!!! They haven't shown any aggression towards me or the girls, so that's a good sign...but I'll definitely have to watch them when they get older. If I keep both of them, will they fight with each other for the girls???

They haven't shown any aggression towards me or the girls, so that's a good sign...but I'll definitely have to watch them when they get older. If I keep both of them, will they fight with each other for the girls???

That depends entirely on the roo and how many girls that you have. Barred rocks are generally a bit more docile than other roos in my experience. I kept a couple of brothers together for a long time. There WAS the occasional skirmish, but no one was ever injured.

I agree, I would be pretty sure of that one being a cockerel.

If you want, show pictures of the other ones?

He may show other signs soon, like trying to crow.. but most roosters don't try until much older...
Hi Kev

Thanks and here are some pics (first one is just him) of him compared to a girl. I think that I have another cockerel, so I'll try to post some pics later...he was getting too scared when I tried to take him out of the brooder, so i figured I'd try again later.
smile.png

Last edited:
That depends entirely on the roo and how many girls that you have. Barred rocks are generally a bit more docile than other roos in my experience. I kept a couple of brothers together for a long time. There WAS the occasional skirmish, but no one was ever injured.
Okay, I have 6 girls now...I think...I hope that the 6 are all girls...
fl.gif
Thanks
smile.png

If I DO have 2 cockerels, they haven't been showing ANY roo like signs yet, but then again, they are only 5 weeks old. If they didn't look any different, I would have thought that they're all girls...Unfortunately, they'll probably get more attitude when they're older.
sad.png
I MIGHT have to give them away when they get older...One of my friends has a roo already...If I give them to her, will my roo fight with hers???

Last edited:
I have no doubt that is a cockerel either.

A female chick of that age would not have the bright pink comb and wattle development this little one is showing.

- Krista
I agree. I was quite surprised to wake up one morning and see bright red wattles starting to develop...there is another girl that is starting to get tiny wattles, but it's not NEARLY as deep a red as the boy.

Back
Top Bottom