Cockroaches

Quote:
This made my week!! LOL

lau.gif

NOTHING laughs at Chuck Norris....except southern roaches!

Never thought of going after them with my .22, humm... Might wake the chickens up tho, lol

I can't be bothered with cockroaches around the chickens, although when I clean up I leave a lot of DE around, especially the food storage area. Boric acid (powder) is even better and non-toxic to people and birds. There are also various baits you can buy or make.

Inside the house, my house, I'm less tolerant but this is Florida and there's only so much you can do. Almost anything that sprays will slow them down long enough to smash. I leave a spray bottle of Windex and a paper towel on the kitchen counter at night. If I'm up in the middle of the night, which I usually am, I pick up the Windex & towel as soon as I turn the light on and there is often one or more to deal with.

Lesson learned: a cockroach isn't dead until it's in at least 3 major pieces physically separated from each other. Any less than that will get up and walk away.

I can't be bothered with cockroaches around the chickens, although when I clean up I leave a lot of DE around, especially the food storage area. Boric acid (powder) is even better and non-toxic to people and birds. There are also various baits you can buy or make.

Inside the house, my house, I'm less tolerant but this is Florida and there's only so much you can do. Almost anything that sprays will slow them down long enough to smash. I leave a spray bottle of Windex and a paper towel on the kitchen counter at night. If I'm up in the middle of the night, which I usually am, I pick up the Windex & towel as soon as I turn the light on and there is often one or more to deal with.

Lesson learned: a cockroach isn't dead until it's in at least 3 major pieces physically separated from each other. Any less than that will get up and walk away.

I had forgotten about boric acid. When I was building houses the pest man would come and spray down the inside framing with a boric acid solution before the insulation and sheetrock was installed. I dunno, a Palmetto Bug would probably thrive on boric acid!
I've stomped a Palmeto Bug only to lift my foot and see <<3 major pieces physically separated from each other>> jump up & run in different directions. They should call them Terminator Bugs.

Oh, yeah, I had forgotten about borac acid (although I can't spell it :-\ ). Anyway, my years away from Miami have taken their toll; gotta get back. lol
Except for the cockroaches... square one. Oh, well.

Yes, I've found the same thing about spraying them. I use whatever is on hand. Oh, I also found that spraying OFF! w/ deets in it (Deep Woods OFF!) kept them from getting in at my back door.

Ugh; I don't like that lesson. We use a "crush 'er and flush 'er" campaign. My ds isn't keen on roaches, so he usually traps them under a cup and slides a paperboard box under it, then flushes them from there. I don't like that; I want them CRUSHED and THEN flushed!!! But I take what I can get and I'm glad they're not in my house anymore.

I remember living in florida and walking across the floor in the middle of the night and having one of those palmetto bugs walking right out from under my bare foot!

The night I woke to feel one on my barefoot and kicking and hearing it hit the wall 8 feet away...then turning on the light and finding it on the mosquito net of my baby boy's crib...I told my husband we're going back to Michigan. Michigan, the best place to live...because all the bugs die every winter!! :D

I remember living in florida and walking across the floor in the middle of the night and having one of those palmetto bugs walking right out from under my bare foot!

The night I woke to feel one on my barefoot and kicking and hearing it hit the wall 8 feet away...then turning on the light and finding it on the mosquito net of my baby boy's crib...I told my husband we're going back to Michigan. Michigan, the best place to live...because all the bugs die every winter!! :D
My wife says the longest 20 years of her life were the 5 years she spent in Michigan. I don't think weather or bugs had anything to do with it, though.

Back
Top Bottom